Target Paved Paradise and Then Stole My Shopping Cart

June 28, 2011

targetstolemyadvice

Edited to add: I sent this email to Target on Tuesday night, June 28. I will post a response if and when I receive one.

Edited to add #2: Thank you SO much for your orders and your support. I’m going to give some of them to my closest retailer, Anna-Kate’s Closet in Arlington because she’s being hit hard by this as well. If you get your order in her packaging, don’t be surprised!

Dear Target,

How cute are these kids? They are both mine. As is the shirt on the left. And, I guess according to common law trademark or another business tort, possibly the saying on the right.

On Saturday night I found out through a mom board on Cafemom.com that a “my mom doesn’t want your advice” tee was being sold for infant girls in your stores. What a clever idea for baby tee! At least that’s what we all thought when my friend Sky came up with the idea when I crowdsourced my pregnancy and kids line for Baby Brewing in 2007 in my large blogging community (back before crowdsourcing was trendy). I debuted MY “My mom doesn’t want your advice” onesie on my indie mompreneur site Babybrewing.com in January 2008. I even went to the ABC Kids Expo in Las Vegas in 2008 and 2009 and found twenty-five independent mom-and-pop retail shops who bought them to sell in their own stores. Target buyers were at ABC too, but I never had anyone self-identify as a Target buyer. I did have a few interested customers who raved about the tees but declined to give me a business card. I heard from my fellow mompreneurs that “the bigs sometimes do that.”

Imagine my surprise when I drove to Target on Sunday and found the baby girl tee with my complete saying in the exact same font I use. Had you used a boring font (please, no more Curlz or Lucida Hand), I would have just spoken ill of you to all my friends. When you took the time to copy the fairly rare font I used, I felt the need to speak ill of you to the entire Internet. Chowderhead is not a free font nor is it included in any design software of which I am aware. I chose it because of the look and feel of it as well as my desire to have a unique look to my quality clothing for children. Not surprisingly, the other novelty tees you had for baby girls were the same old tired fonts that everyone else uses for novelty tees. Had you just lifted the hilarious saying and changed the font, only your buyer and I would know that you took it from me. I was torn because my initial thought was it was one lazy move but then I realized it would take some work to track down the font.

So you took the look and the feel (emotional, certainly not quality) and you updated it with color, underlining to accentuate the SERIOUSNESS OF TONE (I believed that YOUR MOM DID NOT WANT MY ADVICE!!!) and some of the saddest print quality out of China. It’s nearly impossible to screw up screen printing but by golly, you guys gave it the old college try. My $20 onesie certainly cannot compete with your $4.50 one. Sure mine gives jobs to U.S. cotton farmers and workers, manufacturers, shippers and distributors, mom-and-pop shops and one of the hardest working mothers of three boys ages 2, 4 and 6 who screen prints ever single shirt herself on her manual press in the basement, but whatever.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that while there is no honor among thieves, I’m disappointed in you, Target. No one likes a dumb competitor. I would have at least expected an opponent who covers his tracks. Tsk, tsk.

Kristen Hammond
    Baby Brewing Company
    Mommy Needs a Cocktail
    @Mommy4Cocktails

P.S. Don’t worry. When the storm hit on Twitter, I called off the boycott dogs. Why should the thousands of my community members be punished for your bad behavior? Heck, I don’t think I could ever give up my Target obsession. But just so you know, they would have done it for @mommy4cocktails. Because our online community? We stick together.

To every single person who tweeted, retweeted, facebooked, bought my tees, emailed me to tell me to keep the faith (including industry insiders), called and asked how you could help or just kept me from heading over the ledge, thank you so much. To my DC Mom (Mafia), thanks for your empathy, advice, calls to trademark attorney friends and RT the hell out of this. You kept me going.

If I could ask for one more thing from you, Internet, it would be to share this on Twitter or Facebook. I’d be grateful.

Button courtesy of Johnny from Hero Dog Design.

1. Dawn says:

I am right here standing next to you.

June 28th, 2011 at 8:14 pm

2. Sky says:

Just bought myself another original. After all, my kid has been sporting this shirt since 2007, actually 2008 when she grew into it.

Silly me, living in BFE, I didn’t realize the depth of this shirt stealing. Sure, I get taking a saying. Whatever. But the font. Really? That’s called hitting below the belt.

Thanks, Kristin. You my friend, keep it real.
      Sky recently posted..June is Dairy MonthMy Profile

June 28th, 2011 at 8:18 pm

3. Stimey says:

Plus, your models are way cuter than anyone Target uses. Kristen, you rock.
      Stimey recently posted..Oh, Right. The Other Two.My Profile

June 28th, 2011 at 8:20 pm

4. Elena @CiaoMom says:

You know we love you and support you (and had quite a little brainstorm sitting in the airport in Asheville coming up with NoMoms4Target. :)

June 28th, 2011 at 8:21 pm

5. Best Funny Baby Shirts « Kaiser Mommy says:

[...] (edited to add link to Kristen’s post about Target copying original idea) [...]

June 28th, 2011 at 8:22 pm

As an early MNAC customer, i am appalled. When im on my pc tomorrow and not this tiny ipod touch screen i will retweet and -post and -share. Tsk tsk indeed, Target.

June 28th, 2011 at 8:29 pm

7. Amy says:

That’s my girl.

June 28th, 2011 at 8:45 pm

8. Mark says:

What would Jack Bauer do?

(charter member of the crowd)

June 28th, 2011 at 8:58 pm

9. Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] says:

I wish there was a response from Target and its designers. Anything.

Also, if they’re doing this to you, how many other small-time artists and businesses are being copied? Urban Outfitters is known for this, but this is the first I’ve heard of Target copying ideas.

I’ll be pimpin’ ya!

June 28th, 2011 at 9:22 pm

10. bonggamom says:

I couldn’t resist… I posted the link to this post on Target’s FB page. I wonder if they’ll delete it?
      bonggamom recently posted..Forty before FortyMy Profile

June 28th, 2011 at 10:44 pm

11. kirida says:

This is so disappointing! Have you heard back at all?
      kirida recently posted..the aquariumMy Profile

June 29th, 2011 at 12:12 am

12. Suze says:

Seriously? Get over it. You didn’t trademark the saying… it’s not that original of a statement and now you’re whining because someone else came up with it? Oh and $20 for a onesie???? wow. So you’re upset that your business model sucks basically.

June 29th, 2011 at 6:43 am

13. Amanda says:

I own a creative agency and it never ceases to amaze me how little respect many people have for intellectual property. They seem to think that because we all have ideas, using ours without paying for them is fine—*it was just an idea*

I am so sorry. This really stinks.
      Amanda recently posted..LonelyMy Profile

June 29th, 2011 at 6:58 am

14. JoAnna says:

I bought a Nautica swimsuit at Macy’s one year. The next year, Target had the EXACT suit same colors, placement of lines, matching swim shorts. I was stunned by their blatant stealing/copying.

June 29th, 2011 at 7:00 am

15. Ryan (The Woven Moments) says:

Outraged and feeling betrayed by my beloved Target!!
      Ryan (The Woven Moments) recently posted..Why do I love June 29th?My Profile

June 29th, 2011 at 7:01 am

16. Mommy4Ever says:

I think this is awful!! Of course, there are always some out there that want to stick up for Target…one is on my friends list (roll eyes)

I am on your side!

June 29th, 2011 at 7:10 am

17. Wife and Mommy says:

Standing alongside you. So disappointed in Target.
      Wife and Mommy recently posted..DreamsMy Profile

June 29th, 2011 at 7:19 am

Once again, I say “go get ‘em dude!” I stand shoulder to shoulder with you – even to boycott (I think). Target would have to close a distribution center if I stopped shopping there – seriously.

Honorary Member DC Mafia (Boston Contingent)
      Manic Mommy recently posted..Another One For The Gremlin FilesMy Profile

June 29th, 2011 at 7:21 am

19. Melinda-LooKWhatMomFound..and Dad too! says:

sons of …….
      that really sucks but I’m not surprised, sadly
      Melinda-LooKWhatMomFound..and Dad too! recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – A Treat At The BeachMy Profile

June 29th, 2011 at 7:30 am

20. layne says:

Oh no! I bought a onsie like this off etsy last Christmas for my sister-in-law. I didn’t realize it was a bootleg. Sorry!

June 29th, 2011 at 7:33 am

21. Melia says:

Wow, how absolutely disappointing of Target to commit such a heinous act of theft. As a mom of 4, including twins, I only wish I’d seen those when my kids were younger. I wonder how they’d look on the tween/teen scene.
      Melia recently posted..What Happens on Tuesdays, Stays on Tuesdays…My Profile

June 29th, 2011 at 7:38 am

22. magpie says:

That sucks. I wish the world were a nicer better place.

June 29th, 2011 at 7:39 am

23. Not a Perfect Mom says:

shame shame on Target…I love them and this makes me so angry for you!
      Are you going to do anything?
      Not a Perfect Mom recently posted..When Life Doesn’t Make SenseMy Profile

June 29th, 2011 at 7:54 am

24. Lydia of Rants from MommyLand says:

This is totally whucked up. We are with you, too. It is totally unacceptable. We’re very small fish in this bloggy pond but we’ll help however we can.
      xo, Lydia

June 29th, 2011 at 8:15 am

25. NotJustAnotherJennifer says:

That…. SUCKS. In the back of my mind, I know Target is probably as bad as Walmart, but I like to think they’re not. This pretty much tells me that they are. So sad. Good for you for spreading the word and not just laying down and taking it! Here’s to the little guy. I’ll certainly be passing it on.
      NotJustAnotherJennifer recently posted..Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

June 29th, 2011 at 8:23 am

26. Sarah says:

Shared. Hate that crap. This is one time I would consider calling in the BIG DAWGS. Go for it.

June 29th, 2011 at 8:46 am

27. babybrewing says:

Suze, Thanks so much for your legal advice. Did you get that off the back of your sugar-coated cereal box this morning? lol

June 29th, 2011 at 8:50 am

28. Mama Morales says:

Good luck! Can’t wait to see their reply (but I assume you’ll never see one).

June 29th, 2011 at 8:54 am

29. Use to be fashion designer says:

I saw this from someone’s RT, I use to be an apparel designer and I promise you that this happens ALL THE TIME. I got out of the business because it felt like nothing was new because everyone was reusing other peoples stuff. Unfortunately as long as it has atleast 15% difference then it can slide by. Think about Target for example, their private label shoe brands knock off Steve Madden’s designs to a t, how they get away with it is very confusing to me. It’s a bumpy business to be in. Good luck in all your future endeavors, I hope that this settles in a way that makes you happy!

June 29th, 2011 at 8:59 am

30. liv says:

Ridic. Just another reason for me to hate Target. I already unleashed hell on them this week simply for having 4 out of 5 items in my cart ring up at an average of $2 higher than the labels on their shelves. Between their draconian return policy, nonstop price changing, and now, THIS? I’m done. And, if you ever decide you need a deep south, digital print operation for your shirts, my husband and I would be happy to assist.
      liv recently posted..Small Batch, part 2My Profile

June 29th, 2011 at 9:04 am

31. Cat @Breakfast to Bed says:

I love yours. Their version is cheap and crappy.
      Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Honey, You Stuffed the French ToastMy Profile

June 29th, 2011 at 9:20 am

32. Rachael @ Holistically Haute says:

I’m not a lawyer, but it seems that since you were already using and selling the phrase you could have some trademark rights to it even if you didn’t file the federal registered trademark application…I’d consult with an IP attorney for sure…
      Rachael @ Holistically Haute recently posted..What Do I Think of the Proposed Safe Cosmetics Act of 2011? So Glad You Asked!My Profile

June 29th, 2011 at 9:53 am

33. Law Girl says:

I think you’d be hard pressed to prove that Target did anything legally wrong. You don’t get to own a phrase under either trademark or copyright law. While you may have created this particular font in connection with this phrase (which I am not even sure is true / it’s hard to tell based on your post), the formatting and coloring of Target’s t-shirt is completely different from the one you created such that I doubt you can claim infringement occurred.

babybrewing says
      Actually I have registered trademarks for clothing with the words “Mommy Needs a Cocktail” and “Baby Brewing” so it is possible to trademark a phrase on clothing. I’m sure the Life is Good people would agree with that statement. The legal implications regarding the extent of the copying the words with the font (I’m sure it’s the same) could certainly be argued extensively. As a fellow attorney, I’m sure you’d agree that lawyers can argue anything. :-) I wouldn’t imagine my letter to Target would be perceived by Target as a cease and desist since it is not, nor is it intended as such.

June 29th, 2011 at 10:18 am

34. jessicaAPISS says:

The MNAC original rocks, and I have boycotted Target for a whole WEEK! For me, that’s a lot. I’m going to try and hold out, because no one sticks MommyNeeds’ designs in a corner.

Oh, and Suze? I LOVE that sparkly Justin Bieber t-shirt your kid is wearing. Classy.
      jessicaAPISS recently posted..GIVEAWAY: Moorenko’s Ice Cream Cafe $10 Gift CertificatesMy Profile

June 29th, 2011 at 10:39 am

35. nic @mybottlesup says:

seriously. SERIOUSLY! baaaaad juju, target. baaaaaad juju.
      nic @mybottlesup recently posted..happy birthday, uncle bMy Profile

June 29th, 2011 at 11:12 am

36. Meg @ Soup Is Not A Finger Food says:

Suze probably wishes she thought of it first.
      Meg @ Soup Is Not A Finger Food recently posted..It’s Field Day Again!My Profile

June 29th, 2011 at 11:13 am

37. Sidney says:

Fight the power!

No, wait. You are actually the one with the power.

[retweeting now]

June 29th, 2011 at 11:21 am

38. bonggamom says:

Target deleted the link I posted on their FB page! So I posted it again :) And judging by the number of other people who posted about Target’s plagiarism on Target’s FB page, another link will appear on their FB page faster than they can delete it. Target is going to have a PR nightmare, and they totally deserve it.
      bonggamom recently posted..Forty before FortyMy Profile

June 29th, 2011 at 11:25 am

39. Grey says:

@JoAnna, Macy’s and Target are owned by the same company. So, it’s most likely not a copyright or trademark violation for Target to sell the same looking suit as Macy’s.

As a fellow attorney, these types of cases are pretty difficult to defend, but the fact that you took the shirt to the Kids Expo definitely makes the case interesting as Target reps were there.

June 29th, 2011 at 11:31 am

40. Mary says:

I am the “one” that is on Becka (aka Mommy4Ever)’s friends list- or was.

I am sorry you are in this situation- it does suck. However, to be fair I was not sticking up for Target because they are Target, but because they did not do anything wrong.

It is neither unique or original- in fact, I bought a shirt from Wal Mart back in 1998 for my oldest daughter with that exact saying, so by your theory that Target stole it from you, you stole it from Wal Mart.

I do support small business, and to protect yourself you should look into patents/trademarks/copyrights- then you have recourse in the event of something like this happening.

babybrewing says

I’m sorry that you and Becka had a disagreement on Twitter about this. This certainly wasn’t my intent. I appreciate her support but I’m sorry it escalated. I’m sure Target appreciates that you feel they did nothing wrong. As for Walmart, I know nothing about that. According to you that was 13 years ago, which would certainly meet the definition of abandonment under trademark (not that they trademarked it). Did your tee from Walmart use Chowderhead font? I never saw the Walmart tee in 1998. I didn’t see the tee, walk out and then copy it.

June 29th, 2011 at 11:45 am

41. sue {laundry for six} says:

Booh-yeah, sister!

June 29th, 2011 at 11:46 am

42. Lynette says:

I love Target as well but MAN that’s so shady! I posted the link to this post so we’ll see if they ever respond. Sorry this happened, it truly sucks.

June 29th, 2011 at 11:47 am

43. Marta says:

That’s really ridiculous.

I still love Target though…
      Marta recently posted..The “Mommy” LookMy Profile

June 29th, 2011 at 12:14 pm

44. Christine says:

I feel your pain, sister, and I’ve spent waaaay too many dollars on trademarks lately in a feeble attempt to cover my tail. On another note, you may want to be careful with your use of the word “onesie”… Gerber owns it and they’ve threatened legal action against me (and innumerable other “big” Etsy businesses… insert irony here). So, I now sell “one piece snapsuits.”

sigh. But I love your stuff!

June 29th, 2011 at 12:18 pm

45. Amber Austen says:

Those ASSHATS!!! :P Damn.

June 29th, 2011 at 12:32 pm

46. Christal says:

I published your link on Target’s facebook page and it was removed within 2 minutes. I hope this all gets worked out!

June 29th, 2011 at 1:22 pm

47. Adria says:

If you’re an attorney, you haven’t had much IP law training.

I feel bad for you, but this isn’t illegal. While I have no idea what you mean by “common law trademark”, you likely could not enforce a trademark claim on the phrase even if you tried (that’s not what trademarks are for) and you can’t claim a copyright for the phrase (too short, unoriginal, and you didn’t even write it for your own use).

From a legal standpoint, product design cannot be inherently distinctive and (usually, w/o secondary meaning) cannot be trademarked. That’s why designer knockoffs are legal. Wal-Mart v. Samara Bros 2000

As to whether it’s “possible to trademark a phrase on clothing” — only if it’s meant to be your brand. Trademarks are legally meant to be an origin signifier, not a way to protect every idea you ever thought of. Even if you could prove you used it as an origin signifier, it’s unregistered and you can’t prevent its use unless you can prove Target is “passing off” their goods as YOUR goods. Highly unlikely.

Again, I think it’s disingenuous on behalf of Target. Shitty, even. But it’s legal and it happens all the time. I think the social network mob is your best bet for any sort of recognition.

thanks for the free legal advice. I think I’ll try the “social network mob” to get attention for this.

June 29th, 2011 at 2:06 pm

48. here comes trouble says:

Oh please, babybrewing, seriously? “Lulz, Suze must eat sugar-encrusted cereal because she disagrees with me.” I don’t know Suze but I kind of agree with her.

If they did, in fact, rip it off shame on them. At the same time, Chowderhead isn’t that rare a font. Have you thought about designing your own font for future designs?

June 29th, 2011 at 2:07 pm

49. Jessica Ashley (Sassafrass) says:

Well, this sucks it.

The good news? You are right. You have a ninja squad out here, whipping things into shape on your behalf. And that is awesome.
      Jessica Ashley (Sassafrass) recently posted..That day againMy Profile

June 29th, 2011 at 4:55 pm

50. trena says:

As someone who has purchased the particular font set that Chowderhead is contained within…yeah, it isn’t that readily available.

I really like Target (usually), but yeah, we won’t be buying that for baby girl. Target’s T-shirts have gotten really crappy in the last year or two anyway.

Big thumbs down Target!!

June 29th, 2011 at 6:55 pm

51. amy @teachmama says:

This whole thing makes me ill, Kristen. It really does. I TOTALLY heart Target, but this is just so crappy what they did–I so hate it. I’m so disappointed in them.

And I would gladly boycott because I know how hard you work and how awesome your stuff it.

xo
      amy @teachmama recently posted..cars 2: what you should do before you see the movieMy Profile

June 29th, 2011 at 7:01 pm

52. Nicole says:

Target posted this 10 hours ago: @Mommy4Cocktails Hi Kristen -We respect the intellectual property of others and continue to look into this issue. Thanks for your patience.

Whether or not they actually do anything about it, who knows?
      Nicole recently posted..The Mint JulepMy Profile

June 29th, 2011 at 7:12 pm

53. Momof3 says:

I’m sure it sucks, but is it just me or does the target version look a lot better? What’s sad is charging $20 for a onesie that you can barely read.

June 29th, 2011 at 8:47 pm

54. Derk says:

@Grey, you’re thinking Sears and Kmart. Macy’s and Target are completely unrelated. Also, Nautica is not a Macy’s private label brand, so even if they were one company it still wouldn’t be legitimate. I’d hate for you to be my lawyer…

June 30th, 2011 at 6:30 am

55. Robin Plemmons says:

Hi Kristen! First, I’m really sorry.

Second, I am pissed that shit like this happens all the time. I’m an artist & am bracing myself for the inevitable douche canoe copier who has no sense of decency. I have friends whose designs have been blatantly ripped off by Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters. But nobody ever did anything about it. Then again, they didn’t have lots of furious moms backing them up either. From what I understand, it’s typically started by ONE greedy person within that company who rationalizes the counterfeit goods. And then it just snowballs. It’s just so wrong & they know it. Live with integrity, people! And those who are witnessing shit like this happen around them, SPEAK UP & MAKE A STAND.
      Robin Plemmons recently posted..i love you more than the internetMy Profile

June 30th, 2011 at 7:02 am

56. Dawn says:

this is SO morally reprehensible on Target’s part.
      I feel like tearing someone’s throat out … not only Target for being crappy, but some of the so-called legal arguments being set forth on the Jezebel blog (in comments) regarding this.
      I wonder if the nasty comments arent just sour grapes because they dont have the motivation o do something clever themselves.
      What is legal, as I learned in law school, isnt always moral.
      Good luck Kristen!

June 30th, 2011 at 8:24 am

57. NotJustAnotherJennifer says:

I just saw this today, and let the designer know of your plight. It sucks that you are in similar situations: http://alittlehut.blogspot.com/2011/06/what-is-rule-of-law.html#disqus_thread
      NotJustAnotherJennifer recently posted..Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

June 30th, 2011 at 9:09 am

58. Megan (Best of Fates) says:

Wow – I just came over through Late Enough and I can’t believe Target stole from you! That is SO upsetting. I really, really hope they do the right thing, though at this point I don’t even know what that would be!

June 30th, 2011 at 9:15 am

59. Melissa @ married my sugar daddy says:

THIS IS BULLSHI%$@T … what is your recourse? How could they get away with this? How can WE let them?
      Melissa @ married my sugar daddy recently posted..Apparently some believe you should stay in a marriage, no matter whatMy Profile

June 30th, 2011 at 12:49 pm

60. RamblingsOfAStayAtHomeMom says:

I am behind you 110%!!

BTW for those who think one can not trademark a word or phrase…then go and try to tell that to George Lucas, who has the rights to the word “Droid!”

And Mary…apparently you did not read what I wrote you before assuming.

June 30th, 2011 at 2:12 pm

61. Michelle S says:

Positively unbelievable! I just happened to stumble upon this blog and as a graphic artist, I am appalled at this. The fact that they even took the time to copy the font makes is just arrogant. I would imagine that they did not even take the time to hunt down the actual font, all they needed to do was snap a pic of your design, pull it into Adobe Illustrator, do a live trace and done! I believe that many large companies hire contract designers so Target may be just as much a victim as you are. I’m anxious to hear the outcome of this Kristen! Your letter to them was incredibly well written!

June 30th, 2011 at 6:36 pm

62. sister/wife says:

um- I saw this shirt (I think it was Circo brand?) years ago at target. I thought it was a kind of obnoxious sentiment then, as I do now.

if you’re suggesting that Target is trying to pass off a knock off of your “original design” as an official MNAC item- Im sure you’re mistaken.

most likely, while shopping at target, you saw this design, ( you do shop at target, correct? probably have for years?)
      and when you later went to print a tongue in cheek message on a snap suit (if we’re being fair, Gerber is the only maker/ seller of the “onesie”) your mind reprocessed the phrase, mistaking it for an original.

I’d calm down about this while you do some research. really.

July 1st, 2011 at 7:24 am

63. Renee Schuls-Jacobson says:

Holy Crimoly! Can they do that! Please keep us abreast of the situation. This is uber-uncool.

How can I walk into a Target again. Until this is resolved.

I mean if you had said Walmart, well, I would have expected that kind of behavior from the evil empire, but Target? Really? (*hangs head*)

I also had a Target experience but very different. Lenore Skenazy posted it. If I can dig it up, maybe I’ll send it to you.
      Renee Schuls-Jacobson recently posted..Back in 1985My Profile

July 1st, 2011 at 10:03 am

64. Ted says:

Reprehensible, for sure, but I have to say the design folks behind the target tee did improve on your line breaks. It has a much better pacing spaced out like that.

July 1st, 2011 at 4:49 pm

65. cjy says:

I have to agree with the folks that are saying you are huffing and puffing about something that is not that original. It is a phrase on a T Shirt which is unregistered. Me thinks you are on the same track as the Etsy designer -vs- Urban Outfitters. She pitched a fit on social media and was able to drum up $60,000 worth of sales on her Etsy site. http://www.regretsy.com/2011/05/27/urban-outrage/

How’s that working out for you?

July 2nd, 2011 at 9:17 am

66. Karla T says:

Wow, this sucks. I am thinking that this would be pretty easy to prove in court and to figure out damages.

BTW, some of the people that commented are just plain mean. There are plenty of ways to communicate your thoughts without going for the jugular. Freedom of speech is one thing, acting like a jerk is another.

July 7th, 2011 at 6:43 am

67. Target Takes Blogger's Advice, Puts it on a Onesie says:

[...] Hammond was surprised and outraged when she discovered that Target was selling a onesie that is almost identical to a t-shirt that she makes and sells herself -  the onesie has the [...]

July 22nd, 2011 at 2:30 pm

68. Time for a Productive Rant says:

[...] couldn’t applaud anyone more than Kristen at Mommy Needs a Cocktail who wrote a pretty compelling case against Target for stealing her shirt design. The blogging community quickly rallied around her and escalated the issue calling for a boycott of [...]

July 28th, 2011 at 5:03 am

69. Daddy Scratches says:

Just when I started to believe my anger issues were fairly well under control, I stumble across this and suddenly want to whip up some Molotov cocktails for a little Target practice! (Get it? TARGET practice? Bwaahahaaaha.)
      But seriously: That is BEYOND LAME. I hope you sue their asses back into the Stone Age.
      Daddy Scratches recently posted..There’s a storm brewing … a storm of BLOGGING, that is! Yeah, baby! (Sorry; just trying to manufacture some excitement around here while I figure out what to do next.)My Profile

August 2nd, 2011 at 7:30 am

70. Cranky Cat Studio says:

I have run into this issue recently with a person on Etsy that I did not know and a group buy with a bunch of women that I know through my group. Seems CHINA stole every single one of her designs and is selling them wholesale on AliExpress.com for $2.49 each. Less than I’m sure she can even buy the supplies to make them.
      There has a been a rash of this lately and that is how I found your post as I was researching some things. Not that I’m sticking up for corporate crap, but maybe target is a victim as well, because maybe China stole your design and Target’s buyers just happen to see it at the wholesale market and think it was cool. Maybe not. Just saying it’s an alternative.
      I have been told that all it takes is for you to send a pic of something you like to a manufacturer in China and they will make it for you and then start wholesaling it them selves. The MOST horrible part about this? They use the picture you sent them as “stock” photos. Most crafts people use their own kids as cheap and willing models… which means your child just became a stock photo for a Chinese manufacturer. Go look at AliExpress and tell me how many of the models you think are theirs and how many are stolen photos….
      I would love to find some way to fight this. Part of the problem is us as Americans demanding lower price goods. I was appalled at the way the women in my group did not give a crap about the fact that the designs were stolen from an independent boutique such as their own and bought stuff to resell. The original designer sells her product at $25-30. The wholesale cost of Made In China – $2.49
      Greedy women selling this item – $12-15

The original designer looses out on future sales due to counterfeit items being sold cheaper. Greedy women make over $10 in profit with no work on thier own.

Feel free to e-mail me and I will give you more details if you like. I have another blogger who also wishes to make a change. Perhaps if we all band together we can do something.

August 31st, 2011 at 3:30 pm

71. yeah says:

But this IS the free market, my non-libertarian libertarian friend. You know, the one free of all that pesky government interference?

Welcome to your brave new world!

January 16th, 2012 at 7:18 am