I can honestly say I didn’t see THAT coming

February 24, 2009

This morning Nate was sitting on what is left of my lap and he got this look on his face.

He reached over, opened my fluffy bathrobe and pointed to my rather large, protruding belly.

“Mama. How do Baby Mea-son get out o’ dare?”

Derek: WHAT DID YOU TELL HIM??? HE JUST TURNED TWO!!!! I didn’t anticipate that question from HIM.
    K: I yelled, “VAGINA!!” and ran into the other room.

At this rate, I’ll be explaining the hazards of TARP 1.0 and 2.0 and don’t get me started on the stimulus bill.

I blame this all on my husband’s genes. I still am not interested in how Baby Mason is getting out of my belly. A stork brings him, right?

The problem is that even when you give them a somewhat modified correct answer, they then ask to see. Andy would’ve been happier if I’d given the stork answer.

February 24th, 2009 at 3:09 pm

2. Amber says:

My daughter saw some childbirth photos in one of my pregnancy books when I was expecting my second. Then she wanted to talk all about them. Then she said, “Oh, that squishes the baby, the baby doesn’t like it.” Honestly, who cares about the baby here?

February 24th, 2009 at 3:26 pm

3. De in D.C. says:

I don’t even think my 8yo knows the word ‘vagina.’ I wimped out when he was about 3 and started calling it my private area. So boys have private areas and girls have private areas, and he knows the boys’ is called a penis, but I think that’s it. He is going to be that kid that’s scarred for life in 5th grade health class.

February 24th, 2009 at 3:30 pm

4. The Mother says:

I strongly believe in giving kids LOTS more information than they asked for. Especially with tricky questions like that one.

Remember those science museum mockups that have a half-woman delivering a baby?

I see a trip to the science museum in your future.

February 24th, 2009 at 3:43 pm

5. nic says:

ah-mazing. i love it. i plan on doing the same… or… sticking with what dooce.com told her daughter. “a special hug.”

February 24th, 2009 at 3:50 pm

6. terena says:

My daughter was in the tub one day and I heard her talking to herself. “Wash my arm, wash my leg, wash my knee, wash my… ? Hey Mom, what’s this called?” When I told her she said, “That’s a silly name!”

February 24th, 2009 at 10:50 pm

7. Anna says:

You could take my mom’s approach to all those annoying questions parents don’t like to answer: You’ll understand when you’re 35. I am the only person I know who eagerly anticipated their 35th birthday, when I would finally reach “the age of understanding”.

February 25th, 2009 at 2:03 am

8. Jenn says:

That is hysterical! When I was pregnant I had a 4 year-old come up to me and ask me, “Why are you wearing THAT?” (“That” was a maternity shirt.) When I explained that there was a baby growing in my tummy, so I needed a big shirt to give the baby lots of room to keep growing, she looked at me like I was NUTS, and walked away. :)

February 25th, 2009 at 9:09 am

9. BananaBlueberry says:

Go with the stork-
      my son assumed I and EVERYONE had a penis until about 6 months ago when I finally told him the girls have vaginas…
      I put off everything about ‘nether regions’ as long as possible-
      probably not the best – oh well.
      Good luck :)

February 25th, 2009 at 11:35 am

10. julie says:

had the same thing with my now 7y.o. when she was 2 – she still hasn’t shown any interest in anything further sex related … maybe i did so badly on answering that question she’s decided not to ask any more!

February 25th, 2009 at 9:35 pm

11. Wife and Mommy says:

You handled it better than I would have.

February 26th, 2009 at 12:36 pm

12. Sarah says:

My 4 YO daughter came home from preschool yesterday and said, “Mama, it is NOT polite to talk about how babies come out of your vagina and how the woman says [insert pushing, grunting sound effect here] when the baby is squishing out.”

Guess the teachers had a little talk with her?

February 27th, 2009 at 9:28 am

13. Kitschen Pink says:

We don’t do anatomy here. Then just the other day he jumped on me and I yelled
      “Oh sorry mummy – I didn’t know girls have their own bits – but they don’t have a satchel for their baubles do they.”
      I love that he has decided he keeps his baubles in a satchel. I guess we’ll have to deal with that one day…..

March 3rd, 2009 at 12:56 am

14. deichmans says:

Amber’s comment above is absolutely hilarious!! Our 3rd decided she wasn’t going to have anything to do with getting “squished”, so she did indeed come out the belly button. O.K., maybe a bit lower. With the help of mom’s Ob/Gyn and a laser scalpel.

March 8th, 2009 at 7:44 pm

15. Donna - The Obnoxious SAHM says:

Just found your blog! Very funny. :)

March 10th, 2009 at 9:54 am

16. jenn says:

lol!!! My sons both just moved out! Can’t imagine being there again!

March 15th, 2009 at 2:44 am