Happy Birthday. No, wait. Not today.

February 10, 2009

When people found out that I was due with The Baby (aka #2, not to be confused with #3) on the exact same day as The Boy, I was berated.  Which is my personal favorite.  Like I really care what you think about my family planning (or unplanning).  But if it makes you feel better to tell me, I’m here to serve.  And listen.  As well as I listen to anyone, that is.  Which isn’t that well at all.  Ask my husband.  He’ll be happy to talk to someone who is actually listening to him.

“They’ll have to share their special day.”

“You’ll probably even make them share a cake.”

Hi, I’ll probably make them share a room, do the same sport in school so I’m not going to two different places, and make them share a car.  The only out they probably will have is college, but that is only because one of the children is showing a disturbing tendency to do WHATEVER THE HELL HE WANTS WHEN HE WANTS which will most likely not be conducive to going to a distinguished university.  But, hey.  I’m a product of community college and look how good I talk. And how fun I am.  Snotty education (you know of what I speak, Shane) is well-represented in this family and frankly, parties would be a little boring without me around here.

They are boys.  I know this because right now one is behind me, standing on the counter, pouring water from cup to cup to dirty cup on the counter and, evidenced by the splashing sound, his aim sucks.  I’m sure girls do these really messy things.  I just don’t remember doing them anywhere other than within the containment of a large bath tub as a child, where messes really should be contained.  But do they really care about having to share their birthday week?  I would have to think they were wussy if they did.

So now birthday week is upon us.  I know this because when I got home from the wine festival on Sunday, my children presented me with an ice cream cake.  “Happy Birthday, MOM!!!”

Hold your congratulations.  It wasn’t even remotely my birthday.  I looked at my husband and he just shrugged his shoulders.  See, we have started the birthday confusion here and now I am paying for having two children born 4 days apart. And I would like to thank my husband for feeding into the confusion.  He mentioned something about having more time on the weekends to celebrate.  Except I didn’t get home until 7, so I’m not sure that counts as more time.  Remember last year when I went to the Bizarre Bizarre and I came home at 9 to find my in-laws and my family had celebrated The Husband’s birthday without me?  Complete with streamers and cake.  I’m thinking they might just start celebrating all holidays on weekends when I am working.  But back to the birthday confusion.

You see, today is Nate’s School Cupcake Birthday.  Not to be confused with his REAL BIRTHDAY TOMORROW.  Then Thursday is The Boy’s School Cupcake Birthday.  Not to be confused with his REAL BIRTHDAY on Sunday and his REAL BIRTHDAY PARTY on Sunday which is also Nate’s REAL BIRTHDAY PARTY.

It only seems fair that we start the week out with an ice cream cake and end it 8 days later with TWO cakes made by the Cake Lady’s able little hands.

I have to go and frost the cupcakes.  And damn preschool for having 1 child beyond a box of cupcakes for two classes.  Seriously.  Wouldn’t it have been awesome if I had just had to make one batch?  Lazy, lazy mother.  Wait until #3 has to celebrate his birthday 1 month early with his brothers.  I just might do it…

1. jwg says:

If you use mini cupcake pans you get enought out of 1 box. All the kids really care about is the frosting and whatever stuff you throw on top anyhow.

February 10th, 2009 at 7:40 am

2. thehusband says:

Don’t forget your FB birthday and why are you complaining about too much cake.

February 10th, 2009 at 7:57 am

3. The Mother says:

That’s a great idea!

Honestly, birthdates have no real significance anyway, right? Is the kid magically more reliable/responsible today than yesterday?

Let’s take a stand for mothers everywhere and just fix one day on the calendar for “Birthday”.

After all, there’s only one mother’s day. And does anyone make US cupcakes?

February 10th, 2009 at 9:57 am

4. Crystal says:

LOL, my middle and my baby have the same birthday 4 years apart…3 days after xmas. Makes things interesting is my excuse!

February 10th, 2009 at 11:17 am

5. Ay Uaxe says:

Highly recommend the room sharing for same sex sibs. An old friend from the prior generation and a peculiar ethnic, densely populated urban neighborhood called the Irish Channel recommended having sibs share a room to me, recounting adverse experience with his kids, who enjoyed the luxury of separate rooms in the ‘burbs. My wife and I took his advice and are gratified to get many comments on what good, decent and loving young men we’ve raised–especially what good friends they are to each other. As college time draws very near for the eldest, they’re looking forward to more privacy and independence, with that delicious mix of joy, expectation, trepidation and anxiety that makes it a real transition, not just another day. If only they would clean up a little, everything would be perfect.

February 10th, 2009 at 12:11 pm

6. shane says:

Hey, I’m a product of the California public school system! :-)

February 10th, 2009 at 12:17 pm

7. shane says:

BTW: I share a birthday with my step-father.

And we ALWAYS had to share a cake….

Oh, the burden of an only child. Consider yourself (and your boys: TBT, TB and Thing 3) blessed.

February 10th, 2009 at 12:20 pm

8. Amber says:

I think that there are way bigger things to worry about than having two kids with birthdays close to each other. I tried to plan the timing of my own babies, and neither pregnancy occurred when I intended it to, and then my first child came way early. Babies come when they come.

February 10th, 2009 at 1:18 pm

They way I look at the water game is that at least he’s washing his hands and I know where he is.

February 10th, 2009 at 1:24 pm

10. Thecakelady says:

Well If you would stop having sex in May you wouldn’t be in your current shituation. I think I counted that right…And Lucy, you got some splainin to do to all of those poor people who wished you a happy birthday on facebook. Most of them read your blog. So now you’re screwed. And I agree with thehusband, stop complaining about cake, or maybe I will just give this homemade cake filled with love to the first hobo I see. And take a picture of him eatting it, put it in a frame and walk that over to your house. And leave it on your front porch with a spoon dipped in batter. Cuz that would be AWESOME. Seriously, Happy Birthday. Feliz Cumpleanos and shit. I like you. Alot.

February 10th, 2009 at 3:48 pm

11. ML says:

You should start a support group – I have a friend with 2 girls born on the same day 2 years apart in Feb. and then twin boys 2 days earlier in Feb. My niece and nephew were born on the same day 6 years apart, though they were due on dates 7 weeks apart (at least yours are the same gender!) As someone who has never had a regular cycle and went through IUI both times, I have nothing but admiration for y’all! Have fun! Is #3 the same gender?

February 10th, 2009 at 5:52 pm

12. Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah says:

My children also shared a due date and still do share a birthday.

Screw other people.

Oh, and somehow I ended up with two different school birthdays neither of which is the actual birthday.

And happy birthday to you.

February 10th, 2009 at 7:36 pm

13. Jerri Ann says:

I wanted to celebrate my kids b-days in the middle too, one is in Nov, one in Jan but doggone it, that fell right next to Christmas and heck, it was already hard enough to spread the Christmas cheer without having to have a b-day party as well. So, we have a b-day party, then we do T-giving, then we do Christmas, and we do it 3 or 4 or maybe 5 times in different places at different times. Then we do my mom’s b-day and then by mid January it’s time for my oldest son’s b-day and dear lord can I possibly eat any more sweet stuff and can I stand to see another balloon?

This year….I was sooooo slick. I took cupcakes to school for the ol’ kiddo. Then, afterwards I suggested that since he had technically already had a party, we should skip a home party and go to the circus….and he bought it. The husband and I were like kids in a candy shop we were so excited about not having a party. Plus we had a blast at the circus two years ago…so we were pumped.

Then, I broke my foot and I had to go to the circus with a broke foot…and oh my stars, could life have been any easier if we had just had a doggone party.

You see, we have a party just the four of us on their actual birthday whatever day that is. So, technically, he would have been getting 3 parties and hey, 3 is too many for anyone but hobbling to the circus…that’s not very appealing either…

So, you go girl, when they get older, you can skip the school party, skip the friends party all in the name of “here go buy yourself a new pair of tennis shoes” and vavooom we are going to be the winners of it all.

February 10th, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Hey, at least you can take homemade stuff. We can only take store bought, lol.

February 11th, 2009 at 5:01 am

15. ClumberKim says:

My kids are 2 years and five days apart so we have birthday week too. Hey, my son is lucky he didn’t get a sister for his second birthday, something I plan to remind him of frequently in the coming years. We had just moved into the new house, I was freakin’ enormous, AND still managed to get him presents (thank you, Amazon).

They get one party. Most of his buddies have little sisters at approximately the same age difference so it’s all good. So far.

February 11th, 2009 at 8:43 am

16. Cheryl says:

I share a birthday with my older sister so I’ve always had to share a birthday. It has never been a big deal. We had seperate store bought cakes. I think my mom did that so she had an excuse to get regular cake AND ice cream cake. Not so we felt special.

I also share a birthday with my future father-in-law, his grandmother (who passed away just two years ago), an ex-boyfriend, a friend, and might start sharing it with a niece who is on the way.

July 20th (our birthday)should be called Labor Day.

February 11th, 2009 at 11:00 am

17. Green-Eyed Siren says:

My kids were born in late December (he’s 5) and late February (she’ll be 8). Late December is a miserable time to schedule a party, January means abysmal weather here in Chicago, and late February isn’t much better, so I’ve managed to drop the ball on BOTH birthday parties this year. We’re trying to work out a joint party in early June at this point. But we celebrated at home, and he celebrated in school (as will she), and they are not too traumatized. But, then again, they also share a room, so they’re accustomed to deprivation.

February 11th, 2009 at 2:30 pm

18. ellen says:

Do you really have the power to plan birth dates – I know you are awesome – but I had no idea you were magically too! send some of that fairy dust over here.

February 11th, 2009 at 10:59 pm

19. Wife and Mommy says:

Oh, I totally intend to make my three celebrate their birthdays together, even if one is in a different month!

February 12th, 2009 at 7:29 pm

20. luckycharm93635 says:

ok so I am
      on the west coast i deserve A party I drove 2hrs to bond we had some fun pick me! Please.

February 14th, 2009 at 1:46 am

21. Tara P-L. says:

Hi K-

Life has been shit here. Therefore –
      I have not been over to read you in at least a month … I have missed you! I am checking back in and watching for Mason news.

much love-
      t.

ps- did you actually leave a comment last night? i am having trouble believing it was you – but since I ripped Gov’t employees I figured it would be you enjoying that … and not some other Kristen.

March 8th, 2009 at 6:44 am