The post where I offend everyone about their Thanksgiving traditions

November 30, 2008

K:  Dan is talking crazy about appetizers for Thanksgiving.  Because there isn’t enough to overeat on Thanksgiving.  Although I do so love the carmelized onion dip.
    D:  We always had a pickle and olive platter.  It’s very traditional.
    K:  Did you just say a pickle and olive platter is traditional?
    D:  Very.
    K:  Um, were your grandparents born in Washington state?
    D:  Yes.
    K:  And your great grandparents?
    D:  I think they were born in Washington too.
    K:  So your great history of “tradition” is a few generations born on that OTHER coast?
    D:  Yeah.  What are you trying to say?
    K:  How long have your people had tradition?  I mean, you’ve only been there for like a hundred years.  It’s not your people settled in the birthplace of the freedom.  Traditional?  It’s not like they fought in the Revolutionary War.  I’m not saying I AM a card-carrying member of the DAR but that’s due to laziness.  Hundreds of years of laziness.

This would be the point were I apparently crossed the line.

D:  HEY, my PEOPLE fought in the Revolutionary War.
    K:  As members of the French army.  That hardly counts.
    D:  Um, this country couldn’t have won the war without the French.

It’s only been how many years since those words have been spoken? And will they ever be spoken again? I think not.

K:  Sure, your people did make that road up the street from our house that is now known as The Ultimate Shortcut to Ikea.  But you know what I’m saying.  Pickles and olives for a Thanksgiving appetizer?  Seriously?

1. cri says:

LOL you go!

November 30th, 2008 at 4:40 pm

2. The Cake Lady says:

if the platter contains a variety of pickles and olives it could be acceptable. Its the American antipasto.

November 30th, 2008 at 5:06 pm

3. Stimey says:

Granted, I’m from the west too, but we ALWAYS had an olive plate as an appetizer for Thanksgiving. Always.

November 30th, 2008 at 5:39 pm

4. Carrie says:

I’m a 5th generation Washington State resident and have never had a olive plate, but maybe it’s done more in the other half the state? Olives on the kids’ fingers are tradition though, so olives are present somewhere on the table, always.

November 30th, 2008 at 7:00 pm

5. Jennifer/The Word Cellar says:

My family is firmly rooted in southwestern Pennsylvania and every year for Thanksgiving my mom had a “relish tray” with hunks of cheddar cheese, green olives, and celery. No pickles, though.

November 30th, 2008 at 8:08 pm

6. Kate says:

hmm we used to always have pickles/olives but then this year i had thanksgiving with the inlaws and i didnt do it. mostly because i do not LIKE olives!

November 30th, 2008 at 9:26 pm

Someone wise (ass) once left me a comment saying “frank” and “holidays” don’t mix. hmmmmm

December 1st, 2008 at 11:43 am

Well, my family fought in the Revolutionary War (for the American Colonists, dammit). We usually have a tray of pickles and olives as a side item during the meal- not as an appetizer.

December 1st, 2008 at 12:57 pm

9. Stacey says:

My family, which has been living in what would become West Virginia since 1780 has also had a ‘relish’ tray featuring cheese, pickles and olives every thanksgiving.

There is an odd corollary tradition to it….no one ever ate the olives. My dad would eat one pickle, but no other pickles would get eaten either. The cheese has to be replenished every 15 minutes though

December 1st, 2008 at 3:11 pm

10. BananaBlueberry says:

Um. You won’t believe this BUT IT”S TRUE:
      my mom suggested not doing a salad for Thanksgiving b/c it never gets eaten, at least in our house-
      so instead I made an olive, carrot, sugar snap pea and red onion plate- and it was devoured… crazy :)

December 1st, 2008 at 8:34 pm

11. deichmans says:

I hate olives.

And pickles. But not as much as I hate olives.

December 1st, 2008 at 10:00 pm

12. kristin/kwr221 says:

Does anybody ever actually EAT anything from those relish trays?

Or are the just ornamental?

December 2nd, 2008 at 6:27 am

13. rachel whetzel says:

hmmmm I never knew it was only a west coast thing… My grandma is from New Mexico, and we always had a platter of pickled goodies… my hubby’s family has one with all the home canned stuff from the pantry each year too. Cool! Never knew it wasn’t everywhere.

December 2nd, 2008 at 11:44 am

14. Wendy says:

I never do pickles/olives, but one time we were having this potluck thing and not enough people brought food (huh??) so I was freaking out running around the house trying to make up stuff that looked like real food. I made a pickle tray (no please, really, don’t roll your eyes) and COULD NOT BELIEVE that people went crazy over it and ate every single pickle on the tray and asked if there was more.

December 2nd, 2008 at 7:05 pm

15. Marelle says:

But, seriously. The olive platter that I was munching on the other day from the bodega down the street was DELICIOUS. Truly.

And, uh, what does DAR stand for? Thanks.

December 3rd, 2008 at 5:07 pm