Taking the dangerous games to a whole new level

October 20, 2008

I pulled one over on the kids and went downstairs to get work done when they were busy in this elaborate game involving a box.

I wasn’t too concerned because they were pushing each other around in this box on the kitchen floor.  It sounded like a train was moving overhead.  It was only when I heard the train moving near the top of the stairs that I started to wonder how it was all going to go down.

Eat:  NATE.  You know what we should do?
    Nate:  Wha?
    Eat:  Do you want to ride down the stairs in the box.  It would be so much fun.

Down the stairs in the box. Ignoring the hardwood floor covering the concrete floor. And the weight-bearing pole in the path. How fast do you think they could get moving by the end of the steps? Under the assumption that the box would make it in the upright position to the bottom of the stairs.

Sometime I fear for that second born.

Nate: NO.
    Eat: You don’t want to go down the stairs? It will be really, REALLY fun.
    Nate: NO.

With that I heard someone come flying down the stairs in a box, laughing maniacally. I jumped up to find Eat climbing out of the box unscathed at the bottom of the stairs. I looked up at the top of the stairs to see his brother looking on in wonder.

Eat: Nate. That was SO much fun. Do you want to try it?
    Nate: NOOOOOOOOOO.

It’s the little things for which we are thankful as mothers. Last time I checked, there is no two-fer deal at the ER.

1. Julie says:

Good thing you taught Nate to say NO!!

At least it’s not as Darwinian as my youngest trying to strangle himself with a plastic slinky the other night. BOYS!!

October 20th, 2008 at 9:29 pm

2. Fear and Parenting in Las Vegas says:

Holy Canolli! I had to stop Boo from doing the same thing thing tonight, but with the laundry basket. It would have been a solo flight, but she would have met up with my china cabinet at the bottom of the stairs!

October 20th, 2008 at 9:53 pm

3. Jess says:

Oh man…I’m telling you…I’ve never been happier to never have had a set of stairs in my house!

October 21st, 2008 at 6:08 am

4. Karen says:

Mine ride the “train” down the stairs too. It’s terrifying for me. Thrilling for them. More terrifying when it involves other people’s children. (:

You’ve got some super adorable babies!

October 21st, 2008 at 7:14 am

5. Jerri Ann says:

I have this kid, he is the one that is known as “3.95 years old and still not potty trained” who had the awesome idea last week to put his great big dump truck on the top of the slide, then get in it (he is small for his 3.95 years) and slide down the slide.

He was fine, I almost broke my neck trying to get him to stop him from doing it…lovely eh?

The things kids will do amazes me and where do they get these ideas anyway?

October 21st, 2008 at 10:35 am

6. Marelle says:

Man–those second borns are waaaayyy smart!

We firstborns. Well, we borderline on evil. [muaahh]

October 21st, 2008 at 4:35 pm

I always figure, if they have an accident doing something like that, they’ll gain a new respect for gravity and/or grade… although I wouldn’t organize an experiment simply for that purpose.

Sounds like your boys are the kind about whom it’s safest to assume the worst will happen, and plan accordingly.

October 22nd, 2008 at 7:38 am

8. MDRepublican says:

Rather tame boogie boarding down the back yard slide by the two oldest (girls), followed up by the youngest (boy) riding his scooter down same said slide.

Sometimes you fly out the back door in an effort to avert disaster, sometimes you just stay inside and wait for the screams of pain…..

October 22nd, 2008 at 1:45 pm

My question is, did you get the “God, Mom, you’re so stupid” look from Eat when you expressed your concern?

Good for you, Nate! RC totally would have gone for it.

October 22nd, 2008 at 6:10 pm

10. Sky says:

You know it’s not going to get any better right? My brothers were still in their teens and riding down the stairs in laundry baskets. The older you get the faster it goes. LOL, boys!

October 23rd, 2008 at 7:05 am

11. Domestic Goddess (in training) says:

My 9 year old daughter decided to slide down our staircase on a pillow one night when she had a friend sleeping over. The staircase leads directly into a window, unless you turn the corner to the bottom two stairs. Pillows don’t turn corners. The only thing I could say is “thank god the neighbor kid didn’t go first.”

October 24th, 2008 at 11:46 am

12. Wife and Mommy says:

I’ve found you! Well, virtually, that is. It was lovely meeting you last night, despite the un-politics talk.

October 25th, 2008 at 3:21 pm

13. Theresa Shafer says:

I do not know how I survived all the stupid things I did. I went down IN a trash can.
      God must love us.