I don’t have anything to say, except about Facebook

October 19, 2008

My husband would be shocked.  If he read this blog.

So I’m against facebook on principle since the only thing missing from the personal information under your photograph is your social security number.  Don’t start leaving me comments about how you can hide anything you want.  I know you can.  I’m referring to the people (mostly who are related to me) that have their street address and phone number posted on facebook.  You are like one step away from having your identity stolen, you know?  The only  thing that makes me feel better is the fact that there is no way anyone is going to be able to qualify for credit with my information so I figured what the hell.

Now facebook has sucked me in.  It’s ugly. It’s ugly because if you have spent the better part of your adult life employed as a professional snoop, facebook is a gold mine surrounded by land mines.  The thing is, you have to be someone’s friend to see their life.  But sometimes, you don’t want to be their friend.  You just want to know their business.   Really bad.  So even though you didn’t even have one conversation in high school because that person was an ass, you decide to friend them on facebook to see if their assedness has caught up with them.  But then you find they are only a friend adder on their facebook but now they get to see YOUR facebook profile that has you describing your husband’s new facial hair as Unibomberesque.  Fair trade of information?  I think not.

Then there is that whole, “do you or don’t you add your ex’s” drama that people apparently have evoked very strong feelings in some.

So who’s on YOUR facebook friend page?  And are you a friend adder/loser?

1. Carrie says:

Lots of people I never spoke to in high school, people I haven’t seen since kindergarten, people I’m not entirely sure who they are even, yeah, they’re all there. But so are a lot of people that I’ve known in various parts of my life and have been so happy to reconnect with.

I have been known to remove friends though, mostly the really random ones. So far no one has sent me a nasty message about it :)

October 19th, 2008 at 8:56 pm

2. Marelle says:

I was so glad to see that you posted but about Facebook!?! You’ve emailed me about Facebook. And, we’ve spoke about Facebook. I just haven’t caught that bug yet. Maybe after I catch the iphone bug, I’ll move on to Facebook. Love you!

October 19th, 2008 at 9:07 pm

3. Fear and Parenting in Las Vegas says:

I’ve managed to steer clear of Facebook and MySpace. Between three blogs, Plurk, Twitter, and Linked in, I think the world wide web has quite enough of me already.

October 19th, 2008 at 9:59 pm

4. Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah says:

Fine. I’ll get a stupid facebook account.

Then I’ll get back to you.

October 20th, 2008 at 6:17 am

5. Mark says:

I’m neither an adder nor a loser (although the last one is debatable in the Fantasy Football sense of the word :-(.

The FB account is mainly for all of the tossed to the wind relatives to share photos and keep up with other family members without the old fashioned ball and chain of having to resort to email since my parents, God love them, can’t seem to be able to open an attachment but sure as hell know how to forward every cute kitten photo in the world on.

October 20th, 2008 at 6:34 am

6. Dawn says:

This is completely me! I never understood or wanted to be involved with FB until I also got sucked in. I do like that I’m reconnecting with people, but the fact that I also have to see my ex on “people you may know” kinda sucks! I knew him, don’t need to reconnect…but on the other hand, I would like to see his profile too, just to see where he’s at in life as compared to myself.

It’s vicious!

October 20th, 2008 at 6:44 am

7. Jess says:

I’m like a facebook whore, I have 300+ friends (but to be fair…I can probably tell you something about all of them!). I dont add everyone, ya know I ignore the ones from people I dont know…but yah I’m a total facebook whore.

October 20th, 2008 at 6:51 am

8. Vicky says:

I am like Jess- a Facebook whore. But I think my husband is way worse. I ignore only those I don’t know and shamelessly friend anyone I can remember. It’s pathetic. There’s one ex in there too. Just one. The others? I don’t think they have figured out what that dang thing called the “Internet” is yet. You think I kid.

October 20th, 2008 at 7:42 am

9. suburban psychosis says:

I started a facebook, but lost interested in it. I’m busy with life, my blog and selling on Ebay. I also have a myspace, but have lost interest in that after 6 months. I’d rather blog than spend time tweaking glitter graphics and such.

Yesterday I got asked to join some other Facebook style website. How many are there!

October 20th, 2008 at 8:29 am

10. MelissaS says:

Having just recently joined the Facebook world, I am addicted. I find myself getting angry with people who don’t yet have profiles. I talk to them in my mind: “What do you mean, you aren’t on facebook yet? Come on, I want to get the scoop on you!”

You’ll be getting a new slew of Friend Requests after this post, I bet! See you there :)

October 20th, 2008 at 9:16 am

11. Jen says:

I, too, am a recent Facebook convert and am totally obsessed. It’s like a train wreck, you just have to keep looking. And it really rocks with a cocktail :)

October 20th, 2008 at 10:18 am

12. Stacey says:

No one I know from real life is on Facebook. It’s as if the entire graduating class of 1985 in my hometown got together at the 20 year reunion and vowed “No online presence” as a group. I wasn’t at my reunion so I can’t say for sure.

The only people I know on Facebook are people I know from blogs & forums and I still visit those blogs & forums so Facebook seems redundant to me.

October 20th, 2008 at 11:27 am

13. Suburban Turmoil says:

I LOVE Facebook. I love reconnecting with my entire fourth grade class and my church youth group. But I’m weird like that.

Let’s be Facebook friends! Er, if we aren’t already!

October 20th, 2008 at 12:18 pm

14. Karen says:

Facebook – time suck!
      I don’t ask anyone I wouldn’t walk up and talk to in person if I could. But that’s just me.

October 20th, 2008 at 1:25 pm

Hmm, adding ex’s? That sounds kinda sketchy….

October 20th, 2008 at 1:26 pm

16. J from Ireland says:

Facebook… yeah I have an account, but have only about 5 friends. I would never friend anyone I didn’t know well. I just upload pictures and nosy on friends photos and wall messages.
      ps hope you feeling well.

October 20th, 2008 at 2:44 pm

17. Patti says:

It is like CRACK…it is so addicting. But I have an addictive type personality (at least that is what my therapist says, haha!)…so that is no surprise. And YES I added you as a friend because quite frankly you don’t share enough of the details about your life on this blog ..and inquiring minds want to know!! Haha!! And YES, my ex is on my friend list and I only accepted his friend request because I wanted to see pictures of his current wife. That made my day (and I emailed them to all my family and friends…but not until after I photoshopped horns and a great big wart on her picture). I really need to get a hobby!!!

October 20th, 2008 at 3:09 pm

18. Gibby says:

I have always been terrified of having my identity stolen, but now I have become a Facebook addict. I admit it. I love it. I got my hubby on it and he is addicted, too. We are in a friends war…so far he is beating me by about 40 friends or so. I am always trolling for more! LOL!!

October 20th, 2008 at 5:08 pm

Now you sound just like my husband. He thinks if you are over 30 and on FB, you are lame. He also thinks it (and those family tree websites) is the easiest way to get your identity stolen.

And yes, I am on Facebook. Will you be my friend?

October 20th, 2008 at 5:11 pm

20. Jenni says:

I have a love/hate with facebook. It is such a time suck…but oh to be able to see who got bald is PRICELESS!

October 20th, 2008 at 6:33 pm

21. kate says:

yup, i am a relative newbie to facebook and it’s like waves of loving it then ugh then WOW! and ooh so fun. it’s one of those internet thingies that you think is SO DUMB! until you join. and then love it.

are we friends enough to be FB friends? haha :)

October 21st, 2008 at 8:07 pm

22. Naked Barbies says:

Amen Patti! Facebook is CRACK! I can’t believe how obsessed I became – and obviously so is the Class of ’82 (Woo Hoo!).
      That’s the hilarious part – those of us who should be way too old for FB, but there we are catching up – and I have to admit I like it!

October 23rd, 2008 at 4:57 pm

23. Loralee says:

Dude. It was bad enough before I got into MOBWARS. Now? It’s a total sickness. Sigh.

October 24th, 2008 at 9:16 pm

24. Jamie R Lentzner says:

It is better than any addiction I may(or may not) have had. It is awful though – I check it all the time….and I am not proud of that. I am thinking of ignoring some people very soon though – can I make my self invisible so they can’t see me either?

October 27th, 2008 at 9:06 am

25. bejewell says:

I have been away from this blog for far too long. You’re cracking me up over here.

Off to erase my street address and phone number from Facebook now.

October 28th, 2008 at 4:19 pm