Don’t stay at the Bellagio

September 15, 2008

Long time, no post.  It’s a long story.  It’s really depressing but tomorrow there will be a video that’s funny.  And incriminating.

Ten days ago I showed up in Vegas.  My dear friend Wendy arrived for the trade show before me and she and her friend Lisa picked me up at the airport.  They dropped me off at the convention center to set up my booth.  Which I did.  Then I took a cab to the Bellagio to check in.

About halfway there, I realized I had no wallet.  Don’t worry.  I was smart.  I had all my money and id and credit cards in the SAME PLACE so if it was gone, it was gone.  I found enough money to cover my cab fare and stumbled into the Bellagio.  I explained my dilemma to the nice guy behind the counter.

Bellagio Barry:  Ma’am.  We must have a government-issued identification and a credit card to check you in this evening.  Where did you leave your wallet?
    K:  Hi, Barry.  If I KNEW where my wallet was, it wouldn’t be lost.

Yes, I said it.  But that has to be the dumbest thing anyone can say when someone loses something.  Seriously.

BB:  Ma’am.  I can’t let you check in.
    K:  Barry, I can’t possibly be the first person to LOSE HER WALLET IN LAS VEGAS.
    BB:  We can’t help you.
    K:   Listen.  My husband can fax you a copy of my passport and a credit card guarantee.
    BB:  Ma’am, that won’t work.  We need originals.  We can let you stay for the night since you have one night prepaid but you’ll have to show the id and credit card tomorrow or check out.
    K:  It’s  Saturday night. It’s 9:30 pm at my house.  That’s not possible.
    BB:  Sorry.  I can’t help you.

I kept it together until I got back to my room.  I ask you, Internet.  Is this any way to treat a pregnant woman? I called my husband and I was hysterical. A tree had fallen on the road about 60 seconds before he drove down it with my mother and kids earlier, so he was already in a funky mood. Something about nearly killing everyone. He asked for the number to the front desk. He said he would take care of it.

I called room service.

RS: Ma’am, you are cash only. Will you be paying with cash?

So now I have 4 dollars and I can’t afford a bottle of water at the Bellagio. Wendy calls and offers to bring me money. I tell her that Derek is fixing everything. He calls back to tell me that he CAN send a credit card and the front desk doesn’t understand why Barry told me that I couldn’t. I stop crying. I have tweeted it all and I get 5 calls from the internet, offering to wire me money. Chocolate Fountain Fairy Godmother tries to get some guy she knows in Vegas to bring me money. I try to break into the minibar while I wait for Derek to get the form and fax it back.

Except they forget to fax the form. He has to call back twice. I break into the minibar and help myself to the $12 cashews. I call my husband crying again. He calls AGAIN and they send him the form. It’s 2 1/2 hours later. Too late to eat. I go to bed, excited for breakfast.

I wake up at 5:00 am and order room service, only to find that I am still cash only. I tweet this bad news and call my husband. Who is livid. He stayed up past midnight to get that form to them and they didn’t put it in the computer when they got it. I call the front desk. They tell me my CC authorization is for room only. I tell them to look for the form. They tell me they can’t help me. I tell them I am pregnant. They say they are sorry, but they can’t help me. I say I haven’t eaten since noon the day before. They say “sorry” and tell me they will authorize it with room service. Room service calls me 10 minutes later to ask if I have remedied the situation. The front desk has failed to call them. I call the front desk again and they are sorry again. Room service calls again and the girl finally shows me mercy and says she’ll send breakfast.

Two breakfasts arrive. CFFG has managed to convince someone to take HER credit card over the phone for food and my order has gone through as well.

I eat. I pack my bags. I call Susie Sunshine and ask her to book a room at the Renaissance with her credit card so we have a room when she arrives later on that day. I check out of the Bellagio. But not before I ask for a manager.

Christina: You were scheduled to check out tomorrow, Ms. Hammond.
    K: ACTUALLY I was scheduled to check out on THURSDAY. But I’m leaving today.

I recounted my story and Christina does her best to not look horrified. I tell her that I understand people lie in Las Vegas. I understand that everyone is trying to pull something over on everyone else. But I was NOT trying to pull anything over on the Bellagio. I was just trying to figure out the policy for guaranteeing my stay so I could eat my damn $17 burger in peace.  Did I mention that I am a PREGNANT WOMAN with no food?

I was clear. I never asked for ANYTHING for free. I was asking how I could pay in lieu of a lost wallet on a SUNDAY in Las VEGAS. She acknowledged that the system was broken. I clarified that it was broken THREE TIMES–incorrect info at check-in, repeated failure to fax the form to my husband for hours and then failure to put the authorization in the computer. This isn’t the Day’s Inn, people. For heaven’s sake, it’s the damn Bellagio. She comped my breakfast and my nuts. I would have just liked dinner when I asked for it.  She asked if I would fill out a comment form.  I told her that the Bellagio could just check it out on the Internet.

I was supposed to get together with the awesome Marge from Fear and Parenting in Las Vegas but I never did manage to get my act together. I didn’t even call her. Sorry, Marge! I was a wreck!! Next year?

I promise it will only be rainbows and unicorns from here on out.  Just had to kick some Bellagio ass, if you know what I mean.

1. Jamie R Lentzner says:

Oh my gawd Becky…that sucks. Wow, and I had no idea you were preggo! You forgot to mention that – congrats!! Okay great story though I am sure years later it will be really funny….can’t wait to hear about sunshine and rainbows – I love that shit! Hope you got some food….

September 15th, 2008 at 9:27 pm

2. Kelly says:

Oh honey, let me tell you, one of these days someone is gonna realize they cannot @#*@ with pregnant women! I had a similar experience with Ikea and nearly ripped someone’s ever lovin’ head off over a crib, dresser, and nightstand. Nice work standin’ up for pregos everywhere! Note to the Internet….don’t mess with a woman who’s in the process of creating another human being! It won’t end well for you!! Give her what she wants and get the hell out of her way! Go girl!

September 15th, 2008 at 9:34 pm

3. Bellamomma says:

I get every other tweet from you & yet you FAIL to tweet a POSITIVE pregnancy test?! Woman, that is news that should always be twittered. ALWAYS!!! (Congratulations!)

And I will mark the Bellagio off my list of “Must Stay There Before I Die” … they refuse food for pregnant women, they must be boycotted!

September 15th, 2008 at 9:34 pm

4. Julie says:

2 things to say as we have already discussed most of this indepth in Vegas so you know my take on the situation.

1. You forgot to include Mandalay on the list of Way Bad Vegas hotels that require stupid things like the bosses credit card even after she has confirmed that you can check in ahead of her arrival (when you fly in like 4 hours earlier) with the business credit card. Not to mention locking out husband on said room the next day when EVERYONE who is anyone (including the aforementioned credit card) is at the convention for the day. Mandalay and Bellagio both won awards this trip, however Bellagio definitely takes the cake for abusing the pregnant woman.

2. Video, please no not the video, i thought we agreed you weren’t going to post that. Umm which video exactly are we posting…waiting anxiously by my email…

Susie help!!

September 15th, 2008 at 10:04 pm

5. Fear and Parenting in Las Vegas says:

Oh dear God. Why didn’t you call me you crazy woman?!? I would have taken care of you in spades!

I don’t know whether to be mad at you or to send you a plane ticket for a do-over. I’m so sorry that apparently one of the nicest hotels in town is apparently staffed with the village idiots.

September 15th, 2008 at 10:47 pm

6. Carrie says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one totally confused by the whole you’re pregnant thing-Congrats!

And I would be totally annoyed at them too.

September 15th, 2008 at 11:06 pm

7. Mir says:

DUDE!!! SINCE WHEN ARE YOU PREGNANT??????

Yes, I AM shouting. WTH, woman? I mean, I realize you’re busy causing trouble in Vegas but COME ON!

September 16th, 2008 at 5:35 am

8. TheUberGeek says:

Geez, that story sounds even worse on the Internet than it did in person. I would second the also don’t stay at the Mandalay Bay. Apparently those village idiots that manage the desk at Bellagio also populate it’s southern cousin at Mandalay Bay! We discussed that in Vegas as well.

September 16th, 2008 at 6:39 am

9. ElleBeMe says:

New here, but love the site:

Hey, if you REALLY want to stick it to them, report your story to consumerist.com. It’s not the first time the Bellagio has forked over its patrons…

But at least you didn’t stay at Caesar’s, Caesar’s is way worse…and I know from personal experience.

September 16th, 2008 at 6:49 am

10. Jill says:

That is horrible! Some people are so ignorant they can’t see past what the piece of paper or computer screen in front of them tells them to do. It’s called compassion people. Oh, and customer service. Andy Garcia — or whoever the owner of the Bellagio is in real life, as opposed to Ocean’s 11 – should be made aware of this nonsense. He does NOT want to get a bunch of mommy bloggers all up in his business!!

September 16th, 2008 at 7:07 am

11. Laurie/Mobile Mommy says:

Bellagio people should see this and learn the meaning of the word FAIL. Seriously bad service – I know it will affect my thoughts on where to stay next time I go to Vegas. Glad you eventually got it sorted out – take care.

September 16th, 2008 at 7:12 am

12. iMommy says:

Congrats on the pregnancy!

Oh, and kick some Bellagio butt for sure… Seriously? I probably would have punched someone in the face.

But then again, I’m 8 months pregnant. I might have just decided to fake labor as a result of the stress and then sue their asses….

September 16th, 2008 at 8:18 am

13. devan says:

oh my giddy aunt.

September 16th, 2008 at 10:33 am

14. Verona says:

You poor thing! I’m putting Bellagio on my List of Places To Avoid, right after “Sewers teeming with plague-infested rats”.

Hope you sold a lot of shirts! Congrats on the pregnancy!

September 16th, 2008 at 10:44 am

15. De in D.C. says:

What a shitty experience, but OMG, I didn’t know you were expecting! When is your due date?

September 16th, 2008 at 10:50 am

16. The Cake Lady says:

Yahoo- you finally told the internet. Awesome. Bellagio- not so awesome. Love you.

September 16th, 2008 at 11:51 am

17. Audrey says:

Uh, did I miss a pregnancy announcement or is this it? Either way – congrats!!!

September 16th, 2008 at 2:22 pm

18. Stimey says:

Congratulations, pregnant lady!

And, BOOOOO, Bellagio!

September 16th, 2008 at 3:17 pm

Okay, I forgive you for not commenting on my MNAM shirt pic. Pregnant!?!

That’s it! I’m writing a letter to Terry Benedict. He owns the Bellagio, doesn’t he.

September 16th, 2008 at 3:18 pm

20. Mark says:

Congratulations K!!!

Now I know why you were craving that sack of 3×3′s at In’n'Out. But alas, didn’t you just smoke the Baby to be named later’s Dad in FF this week?? Hmmmm maybe that’s why he delayed the fax to the Bellagio? :-)

Once again Congrats to both of you.

September 16th, 2008 at 3:51 pm

I know I haven’t been by in a while… apparently I missed something, or should I say SOMEONE, lol.

September 16th, 2008 at 4:44 pm

22. Susie Sunshine says:

I think the part where I provided phone counseling, a working credit card, and fifteen thousand possible revenge tactics against those who done you wrong you was a little glossed over.

September 16th, 2008 at 7:28 pm

23. Susie Sunshine says:

PS. Please edit out the exhaustion and stupid in my comment, thanks in advance.

September 16th, 2008 at 7:28 pm

24. workout mommy says:

congratulations! and I hope the Bellagio is reading this!

September 16th, 2008 at 7:33 pm

25. PeeWeeMom says:

I’ve been reading (and laughing) your blog for a while. And yes, I have a “mommy needs a cocktail” shirt. I am so dissapointed with the Bellagio. They are “supposed” to be a top hotel!!! I stayed there a few years ago, but hey, I didn’t lose my wallet. They’ve lost my business. What they should do is have someone call you and comp you NEXT YEAR or the next time when you go back to Vegas. Hope they are reading this on their “google” alerts. They have some fixing to do!

September 17th, 2008 at 7:19 am

26. Kristin says:

…which is why I stay at the Wynnn… the Bellagio? So over.

Ha – like I am ever in Vegas?

Congratulations on the big news… happy pregnancy!

September 17th, 2008 at 8:00 am

Oh crap Julie, I am booked at Mandalay Bay in 2 weeks – hope we have a better experience there than you.

I am happy to see that I’m not the only one taken by surprise at the nearly-parenthetical slipping in of “I’m pregnant.” Is that you you share your good news with the Internets??

Congratulations!! And welcome home.

September 17th, 2008 at 11:16 am

28. Drinking for Two says:

Wow! All that and you never Tweeted the Baby-to-Be!!! Further proof of your mettle. Hope The Boy Terror and The Baby are psyched to be “big brothers”!

(BTW: We’re still a week away from Annasophia-to-be. 1cm dilated a week ago, 1cm dilated today……)

September 17th, 2008 at 12:24 pm

29. Sky says:

OMG!! CONGRATS!!!

September 17th, 2008 at 1:45 pm

30. a. says:

Congratulations!!!

September 17th, 2008 at 2:54 pm

31. Marelle says:

I’m so glad the world knows now. Congratulations!

September 17th, 2008 at 5:29 pm

32. Patti says:

Okay…I swear I have been reading my bloglines daily (well almost). How did I miss that you were pregnant? Last thing I remember, you were peeling labels off postcards in some god-forsaken town without Internet. Gosh, I didn’t know you cold get preganant that way (lol, at least not the first time you did it!!)

September 17th, 2008 at 5:53 pm

33. Hayley says:

Um…seriously…CONGRATS!!!! Did we all just fail to notice – or was this your way of sharing the news?

September 18th, 2008 at 8:36 am

34. Rhi says:

GOOD TO KNOW.

And, it reminds me of this: http://www.snopes.com/business/consumer/badhotel.asp

September 18th, 2008 at 2:40 pm

35. Melissa (cffg) says:

I’m so glad you finally posted about this. The Bellagio should be ashamed of the way they conduct business. Really now, if you were going to scam them, would it be on a room and food? Didn’t everyone in Las Vegas see Ocean’s 11? It’s NOT about the hotel room, Bellagio Management.

I’d love to see their Mission Statement. It probably goes something like this:
      We at the Bellagio aim to provide our customers as little as possible, consistently poor communication and no problem resolution. Our surly employees aim to rip every single cent from the grips of our treasured customers while stabbing a knife in their back all with a smile on our face. Enjoy your stay!

When they wouldn’t FEED YOU BREAKFAST, I completely lost it and called Room Service. Glad they could provide you an American Breakfast on MY credit card for $38. Truly, it’s not about the money, I would have paid $500 for A PREGNANT WOMAN TO GET SOME FOOD!

For shame, Bellagio.

September 18th, 2008 at 3:28 pm

36. J from Ireland says:

Congrats on the pregnancy, hope your feeling well.

September 18th, 2008 at 6:06 pm

37. mommapolitico says:

Sweetie, that definitely sucks in an evil way. I am so sorry you had to go through this. Will mention on my blog for readers to click on your link there and spread the word. You’re a survivor, Girlfriend.

September 18th, 2008 at 8:16 pm

38. Heather from Domestic Extraordinaire says:

ugh, what is up with people and crappy customer service these days.

Congrats!!! on the pregnancy.

September 22nd, 2008 at 9:49 am

39. Heather from Domestic Extraordinaire says:

ugh, what is up with people and crappy customer service these days.

Congrats!!! on the pregnancy.

September 22nd, 2008 at 9:49 am

40. Lynette {Radio} says:

Bellagio bites ass – noted. Will not willingly stay there now, thanks for the heads-up. Customer service is going right down the shitter lately while the prices go up. So so sorry you had to deal with this and burn precious time out of your trip dealing with asshats at the Bellagio – hugs!!

September 22nd, 2008 at 1:30 pm

41. Garnigal says:

I was afraid to comment earlier because I felt stupid for missing a pregnancy announcement, so I’m soothed by the other confused comments.

Bellagio = suck, but great way to sneak in the announcement.

September 22nd, 2008 at 1:52 pm

42. My September ‘08 Perfect Post Award goes to…. « Fear & Parenting in Las Vegas says:

[...] Anyway, it gives me great pleasure to award my Perfect Post Award for September 2008 to none other than Kristen at Mommy Needs a Cocktail for her post, Don’t Stay at the Bellagio. [...]

September 30th, 2008 at 7:07 pm

43. Petroville » Blog Archive » A Perfect Post - September 2008 says:

[...] winners: Suburban Turmoil awarded Nie Nie Dialogues Fear and Parenting in Las Vegas awarded Mommy Needs a Cocktail All Rileyed Up awarded Storm of Thoughts House of Prince awarded Raising Mommy It’s a [...]

October 1st, 2008 at 3:33 am

44. Rachael says:

What the hell is wrong with people? I mean, even if you were lying, you’re pregnant. Why do people have such a problem giving other people the benefit of the doubt?

October 1st, 2008 at 10:12 am

45. Rachel says:

holy hells bells woman.
      Bless your heart.

Checking Bellagio off list now.

October 1st, 2008 at 6:54 pm

46. britt says:

holy crap! don’t you get styes for denying a pregnant women food? thats the card i always played. maybe why i had 10+ pound kids? congrats! and booo bellagio which is surely filled with stye covered staff!

October 2nd, 2008 at 8:59 pm

47. Johnny says:

That’s too bad. I will be sure to note the lack of service you received at the Ballagio and will heed the advice the next time I go to Vegas. The thing about great service is its essentially free, it costs nothing to be nice or at the least, empathetic.

October 12th, 2008 at 7:21 pm

48. Ex-Waitress says:

I feel sorry for what did happen at Bellagio. I used to work there and know how staff is scared with scam (not your case), specially because the consequences of what happens will not have mercy from their supervisers. If that ever happens again with you at any hotel-cassino, look for any floor superviser at the gamble area, they can give you food comp to restaurants or buffet. All the best for you.

July 14th, 2009 at 9:49 pm