We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming

April 16, 2008

Wow.  Didn’t I just fall off the grid?  And not in that way The Husband would like to fall off the grid.  After having the sinus infection since September, I decided to break down and go to the doctor last Friday.  He couldn’t even get his little scope up my right nostril.

DR:  Do you find you have more difficulty breathing with your right nostril than your left?

Dude, I haven’t been able to breathe in 8 days.  I have contemplated giving myself a trach with a bic pen every once in a while.  I didn’t even KNOW that was my right nostril.  I mean, if you are looking at me, isn’t it on your left?  Whatever.  Bygones.  He ordered 21 days of antibiotics, a steroid and nasonex.  I put the steroid in the closet because let’s be honest here, people.  I’m trying to LOSE the baby weight.  And I don’t want a pimply back like Mr.I.Didn’t.Take.Steroids.Sammy.Sosa.  Nasonex.  Threw it away.  All it does is give me post-nasal drip.  I’m trying to dry this crap out, not have a waterfall running down my throat.  The antibiotics?  Day 6 and I’ve finally stopped sounding like a 3 pack a day girl.

All I’m gonna say is there is never a crueler world than a sinus infection on 4/15.  Because if you aren’t already feeling like you have been run over and dragged by a bus for 400 feet, Uncle Sam will be sure to finish you off.

On a lighter note, I’m addicted to Benadryl.  I now require it to fall asleep.  I imagine this is a combination of taking it 14 days in a row and taking naps during the day, but Girlfriend needs her little pink pill.  That stuff should just be in the water.  Can you even imagine if I took a sleeping pill ever?  Smoked pot?  Instant addict.  I’m the person that they told us about in elementary school.  The slippery slope.  One puff on a joint one day and in a week you’ll be shooting up heroin.  I believe it, people.  No funny cigs for me.

How many of you are using your stimulus check to buy an LCD flat screen t.v.  Show of hands?  Oh, if only that were me.

1. Jennifer/The Word Cellar says:

I know you didn’t ask for the advice, but isn’t that what this whole blogging thing is about: flinging our opinions around all willy-nilly? So my advice: Take the steroid. I’ve found that it’s the only thing that fully kills a killer sinus infection, even *with* a kick-ass antibiotic. And I never once had a vein popping out the side of my neck or sudden, inexplicable rage. (Well, at least not due to the steroid.)

April 16th, 2008 at 7:52 pm

2. witchypoo says:

And, a neti pot really really helps. totally drug free treatment it is.

April 16th, 2008 at 8:23 pm

3. Karen says:

Who already spent the stimulus check, before it has even arrived? Admit it, I’m not the only one who already spent the guberment money.

April 16th, 2008 at 8:53 pm

4. De in D.C. says:

We used DH’s refund check for the 52″ LCD :x My refund and rebate and going towards a summer vacation. We haven’t had one in 3yrs, I’ll consider it money well spent courtesy of Uncle Sam (or Bushie the Clown).
      Have you ever used a neti pot for your sinuses? After you get past the panic of “omg, if I move my head back 1″ I’m going to drown” feeling, they actually work amazingly well. I notoriously get sinus infections ever April when everything blooms at once, but the past 2 years I’ve stayed them off thanks to the miracle of nasal irrigation. Probably TMI, but better than bulking up due to steroids.

April 16th, 2008 at 9:09 pm

5. Mahala says:

I think I’m gonna buy a recliner with my check. We tossed ours a few months ago. It’s un-American to not have one.

April 16th, 2008 at 10:03 pm

Stimulus check?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Anyway, let me tell you a little something about Ambien…

It’s so awesome only that blank space can describe it.

April 17th, 2008 at 1:25 am

Hey, we are! Just as soon as the check arrives and dammit it’s emergency territory here because all the other cool kids have one and we do NOT.

When forced to choose between Benadryl and some of the leftover Percoset from my last C-section, 4 out of 5 times I will go PINK.

Glad to have you back; I missed you!

April 17th, 2008 at 3:50 am

PS, I agree, take the steroid. My kids have been prescribed them for stuff and it’s magical what happens. And age ages 12, 9 and 3, none of them have sprouted strange whiskers or ripped abs as a result.

April 17th, 2008 at 3:51 am

Another piece of unsolicited assvice: You can buy saline solution at the pharmacy to squirt up the nose, too. It helps keep things cleared out. I’ve done it when I feel a sinus infection coming on.

April 17th, 2008 at 4:33 am

10. Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah says:

I was just going to send my stimulus check to visa.

Just me?

April 17th, 2008 at 4:48 am

11. Kia says:

Glad to hear you are better. And back to blogging. Missed you. Nothing sucks more than a sinus infection. Except maybe throwing up. That’s pretty much the worst. On the bright side, as least you weren’t throwing up with a sinus infection!

I’m gonna stimulate the economy by buying a pair of shoes, new glasses, and a plane ticket to visit la familia with el bebe. The hubby suggests we pay rent with the rest. Oh, you people with your “logic” and your “rationale.”

April 17th, 2008 at 7:32 am

12. Charlotte says:

It turns out Benadryl is what is in Tylenol P.M. that makes it “P.M.” If you look at the package, it’s Tylenol and the active ingredient in Benadryl. No wonder you’re tired!

Also, I have to agree about the neti pot. It changed my life as far as allergies are concerned, and is only semi-gruesome.

April 17th, 2008 at 10:42 am

13. MelissaS says:

I’m with the others who say take the steroids. They’re not the “Ahnold” inducing drugs – they work more like an anti-inflammatory. And they have worked wonders on my DS, too, with asthma and frequent sinus infections. Hope you’re back to your old self soon!

April 17th, 2008 at 11:18 am

14. Kris says:

I’m going to vote take the steroids as well. They really do work wonders.

And I’m spending my Stimulus Check on a riding lawn mower… woohoo, my life is sooooo exciting. Ahem.

April 17th, 2008 at 12:47 pm

15. Audrey says:

Get a thing called Neil Med Sinus rinse. It’s odd to use, but REALLY helps. I’m fighting my second sinus infection of the year with it right now – and hope to make it through this one without antibiotics, like I did the last one. Glad you’re feeling better and rejoining the land of the living!!

April 17th, 2008 at 3:09 pm

Agree about the Benadryl, I had to make myself stop using it after my last sinus infection. Refund check? Us self-employed people have to pay, lol.

April 17th, 2008 at 4:34 pm

17. the mama bird diaries says:

Still funny when you’re sick. Hope you feel better soon.

April 17th, 2008 at 7:33 pm

18. Mocha says:

Back off the Benadryl. You’re surely CRAZY on that stuff. Stop. Unless you’re getting a nice buzz in which case I have to run to the store really quickly.

Be RIGHT back.

April 17th, 2008 at 9:36 pm

Looove The ‘dryl. The total black-out sleep! The irony is that’s the stuff they *don’t* keep the pharmacy counter.

And yes, I held on to my Darvocets from my c-section, too. Expiration. Schmexpiration.

Feel better.

April 18th, 2008 at 5:10 am

20. Tara says:

HI K-

Steroids make people VERY intolerant, so I think putting those aside was wise. I hated Troy on steroids.

I just wanted you to know that Dr. Jen TELLS me to take Benedryl to sleep well. So, I don’t think you can worry about addiction to Benydryl when there are Doctors out there suggesting it as a sleep aid.

SO glad you’ve never tried Meth. I always wish it was not addictive because I would like to not sleep for a few days and get a lot done. BUt I would not like to be an addict. I am waiting for the non-addictive Meth to come on the market.

HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON!!!!!! I can finally say I sent you a customer, it is about time! How are sales? Can D. retire soon?

April 18th, 2008 at 5:46 am