Mommy Needs a Cocktail goes to the West Wing

April 23, 2008

I have friends in low places.  Friends who are able to eat at the White House. Probably because they are also eligible for the perfect attendance award and the “Most Likely to Not Talk When It’s All Said and Done Unless There Is A Book Deal In It” award.  Me?  I’m going for the food.  Curious to know what a West Wing Grilled Cheese tastes like.  I imagine it will be made with Havarti in lieu of yellow American cheese.  The bread?  Sourdough in lieu of Wonder Bread?  I’m tempted to stop on the way and buy a camcorder.  Cause I’m sure they allow random videoing in the White House.  Can you imagine the first Mommy Needs a Cocktail vlog from the White House? Now that?  That would be friggin’ hilarious.

I have had a bit of a wardrobe issue.  Bless her heart, The Cake Lady offered some of her clothes.  Did I mention that I never was a double zero?  No.  I went from 6X in the 5th grade to a junior’s 5.  And that was many, MANY years ago.  We didn’t even HAVE double zero when I was growing up.  Well, we did, but we called it Limited Too. So I had to pass on her gracious offer but I do find myself curious about the possibilities of wearing the latest and greatest in Mommy Needs a Cocktail wear.

Could we just take a moment to pause while we wait for my mother’s heart to beat again?  You’d think I said I was gonna wear a crop top, cut offs and flip flops into the Oval Office.  I am sporting this hot belly ring but no need to have someone freak out in shock from seeing it and fall into the red button.

I sent a tweet to Kimberly and she sent one back that I could wear a black tank as long as I wore pearls.  I don’t think she was serious.  Zug?  She said I should wear an “I’m blogging this” t-shirt.  But do I really need to spend my lunch break explaining what a “blog” is?  I don’t think so.  I have tomato soup to conquer.

I’ll admit my friend was a little concerned.  It’s not that he said the actual words, “and please don’t dress like a slob,” but I felt them hanging out there somewhere.

And what are the odds that I’ll be able to twitter?  If there is a God, and he loves me, my signal will be clear come 1:15 p.m. on Thursday.  Will be tweeting any and all lipstick marks on glasses and leaving some of my own for future DNA potential issues.  I will do my best not to get arrested.  Or thrown out.  Because that is just tacky.

So what do you think?  What should I wear to lunch? Oh, and we need a name for a sister parenting blog for PBS Parents that rolls out in a month.  I know.  What the hell?  Who are these people and why are they giving me writing jobs?  Don’t they know who I am?  So give me fashion advice and/or your best idea for a name for a parenting blog written by three sisters for the icon of all our childhoods.  I gotta go find a right shoe.  All I keep finding is a left one.

1. Devra Renner says:

What happened to The Lemen Sisters? You can’t use it? I liked it. No? I will think on it….

As for the White House, I think you can do whatever you want, I mean the POTUS’s dad barfed on other people, so how much worse could you do?

April 23rd, 2008 at 8:52 pm

2. Bellamomma says:

Handsoffmyjaneaustin.com

Mommylovesjaneaustin.com

PBSwantsyourblood_er_money.com

EmbraceyourinnerLizzie.com

MommyheartsCliveOwen.com … oh, that’s my blog love, never mind!

I would think decent khakis (no paint anywhere on them!) and a nice black shirt … with your logo on the back ;) ROTFL What do I know? I live in the south and we don’t wear shoes. Just ask W.

April 23rd, 2008 at 9:25 pm

3. Bellamomma says:

OMG I misspelled Austen.

Feel free to kick me off your site now. And short me at dawn.

I’ll be in the backyard waiting for you tomorrow.

April 23rd, 2008 at 9:26 pm

4. Jen Zug says:

Sisterics.com

Systerics.com

Sisteria.com

Systeria.com

That’s all I got.

Here’s to hoping you can twitter from the West Wing.

April 23rd, 2008 at 10:22 pm

Dammit. If I wasn’t going out of town today I would take half my closet and come over there (and hopefully not have to give the finger along the away again).

Do you have a MNAC tote like the vacation one I got? That could be a way to wear it without giving your mom a heart attack.

But I wasn’t kidding. Pearls can pretty much do anything.

April 24th, 2008 at 3:11 am

6. BeeDiva says:

sisterwives ?
      …sorry too much Big Love and Texas compounds in the news!

April 24th, 2008 at 4:10 am

7. Kia says:

I think the kahkis idea is a good one. Or pretty much evey woman looks good in a skirt with a pair of strappy sandals (I mean, it is gonna be 80 degrees today, so I think it’s totally appropriate). Of course, I have a job interview today (which is not as cool as lunch in the West Wing) and it took me about a day to figure out what to wear. It doesn’t involve a skirt or strappy sandals. Come to think of it, there may not be many moms out there who own a dressy pair of sandals. I mean, I sure don’t or otherwise I’d be wearing them today. Ugh, decisions decisions. Hope whatever you wear is fabulous and so is the food.

April 24th, 2008 at 4:26 am

I’d go for the Jackie Kennedy look – pillbox hat, some Chanel, and definitely pearls.

Have fun! Let me know if you meet President Bartlett!

April 24th, 2008 at 6:59 am

9. Michelle says:

Just don’t wear a shirt that says, “Mommy needs a new President.” They might get upset about that one.

April 24th, 2008 at 7:02 am

10. WhetzelMomma says:

SesameBunSisters.com
      CanYouTellMe.com
      SomebodyComeandPlay.com
      Good Luck with your wardrobe malfunction!! :)

April 24th, 2008 at 7:29 am

11. PunditMom says:

It’s all about the shoes! And I like the Mommy Needs a New President idea! ;)

April 24th, 2008 at 8:05 am

12. beergirl says:

You should SO wear “We’re screwed in ’08″. They would LOVE that!!!
      Come on…live on the edge. At least wear it under whatever fabluous outfit you choose.

April 24th, 2008 at 8:26 am

13. trena says:

Even though I’m probably one step away from needing a “What not to Wear” intervention over here, I’d recommend something simple. Either a kahki or black skirt or pants (cannot bring self to type ‘slacks’ *shudder*) and a nice coordinating button down shirt and you’re good to go. I definitely agree with the pearls dressing anything up as well.

As far as the new PBS blog…

*Three Sisters
      *Sisters 3
      *Las Hermanas (you know, ’cause PBS is all like educational and stuff)

…and uh, that’s all I can come up with. Not very good. I’ll have to think more after the Boy goes to bed tonight and see if I can’t be more creative ;) .

Have fun in DC!!!

April 24th, 2008 at 8:32 am

14. Sky says:

OMG, Mommy Wants A New President! LOVE IT! Give them someting to talk about.

I’m of no help…but hope you have a blast. Give ‘em hell….

April 24th, 2008 at 8:55 am

15. Busy Mom says:

Good luck!

How about TwistedSisters.com?

Or, not. Being PBS and all…

April 24th, 2008 at 10:09 am

16. John says:

I suggest the Blisters = the blogging sisters.

Maybe PBSMommies – don’t switch the B and the M around.

ThreeMomLife.com

MomzAmany

Girls2Moms

ThreeMomsKnowBest

AVillageOfMoms

DoingMomsBest

April 24th, 2008 at 11:55 am

17. JessicaAPISS says:

I’m with Petroville. Pearls add Republican frigid class to any tarty Dem outfit.

I love a short rope of 8mm with a scoop neck. Kills em all every time.

Have fun and a bazillion congrats on all your successes. Awesomeness.

April 25th, 2008 at 6:02 pm

18. Jamie says:

I’m late to the party here — what did you end up wearing? Please say a Mommy Needs a Cocktail shirt.

April 29th, 2008 at 2:35 pm