It’s a little game we like to call, “where the hell did this come from?”

April 7, 2008

Last night I walked into my house after the Richmond Bizarre Bazaar to find this on my wall.Calendar  Yes, that is my desk, and no, I can’t ever find anything.  Yes, that is a vent in the middle of the wall and no, I don’t know what the moron was thinking that built the house.   That calendar, in that slightly odd place?  I didn’t put it there.  I knew it was time for the walk-around.  And I walked downstairs to find this…

George overseeing the liquor cabinet

I think he wants the rum, but that could just be me.   And then I turned around to find this…

Abe Lincoln and the Stout that may never be

You’re right.  That IS Abe Lincon perched against the IKEA placemats, under the paper towel rack, directly beside the carboy filled with five gallons of stout greatness and covered with my favorite towel-that’s-where-it-was-I-have-been-looking-for-it.

My mother-in-law is in town.  I don’t think she has ever come to our house without putting up at least two pieces of “art” on our walls, unannounced.  And, bless her heart, I’m sure one day I’ll take one of these to the antique roadshow to find out that it is worth $700,000.  But right now?  I’m a little creeped out by Abe.  And I’m feeling that Jefferson is distinctly missed.

She hangs photos of dead presidents on your walls? The walls of her daughter-in-law’s home? WOW. And I thought my own MIL was cuckoo. That beats all!

April 7th, 2008 at 4:24 pm

2. AmyAA says:

Three reasons why I’m jealous of you right now:

A) Your MIL treasure hunts come with 5 gallons of alcohol.
      B) Best ex-stalk story. EVER!
      C) You know how to work Twitter. I tried to be cool like you. Never got my first auto-nudge to work. twarded i guess.

Met you at bizarre bizarre friday afternoon, only one not wearing Lilly Pulitzer. I blurted out that I had just had a baby and then had to clarify that it was 10 months ago because i was with a friend who knew it wasn’t last week. Otherwise, I would have run with the just left the delivery room gut-cuse. Love the blog, and the goods! Will be buying more soon.

April 7th, 2008 at 4:34 pm

I thought you were going to say she stocked your cabinets full of liquor….cuz then I would say – can she come over here next?

I guess she’s trying to give you a little culture. (American culture?)

Aaaah, I’ll take the rum.

April 7th, 2008 at 4:38 pm

4. Robin says:

Maybe starting history lessons early for your kids?

Maybe FIL got tired of them at their house and thought you’d like them to stare at you instead?

April 7th, 2008 at 7:50 pm

5. Bellamomma says:

Well as long as she doesn’t pour out the alcohol I guess she can stay … but the random pics of dead presidents is freakin’ me out man!

April 7th, 2008 at 8:03 pm

6. the mama bird diaries says:

I’m with you. The Abe is creepy.

April 7th, 2008 at 8:51 pm

7. Jennifer/The Word Cellar says:

That’s the weirdest thing I’ve read all day. Seriously. (I wonder how she decided which President got to go where? Maybe George likes hard liquor and Abe prefers the stout?)

April 7th, 2008 at 10:09 pm

8. Jen Zug says:

Hmmmm… placed over a mess, a liquor cabinet, and the largest beer container I’ve ever seen. Perhaps they are idols, meant to cleanse the home of impurities?

Did you check the door posts for anointing oils?

And by the way? I’ve never seen a liquor stash that rivaled mine. We were meant to be bff’s, weren’t we?

April 7th, 2008 at 10:12 pm

I think Washington is wondering why you have british navy rum and is getting more and more pissed off by the minute.
      There are only a few recipes that I can think of that specifically call for Pusser’s…I’ll bring the nutmeg and the coco lopez…

April 8th, 2008 at 1:20 am

10. Amy says:

I um, well … hmmmm … maybe she, no, wait, that’s not it … argh, I got nothin’. I REALLY don’t get that. Did she think you didn’t know it was April? That you forgot what the Capitol looked like?

April 8th, 2008 at 2:54 am

I HOPE that my mother-in-law doesn’t have cahonas big enough to try something like that, lol.

April 8th, 2008 at 4:12 am

12. Mark says:

If she starts papering the house with Franklin’s and Grant’s I’d keep her :-)

April 8th, 2008 at 6:27 am

13. 2kids3martinis says:

Oh.My.God. Freakin’ hilarious. All of it.

I’m so f-ing glad I found this place. I’m hooked.

Have you developed a way to host an online party of sorts? I’m so in, if you do…

April 8th, 2008 at 8:50 am

14. Kris says:

The pictures are one thing (and they are a weird), but what is up with the calendar??? That’s the thing I really don’t get.

Maybe this is some subtle way of telling you she’s taking you on an all expenses paid trip to DC??

April 8th, 2008 at 9:40 am

15. Sky says:

WTF?? It’s one of those “What Not To Do When You Become A MIL” memories. Hey, that should be a show…

April 8th, 2008 at 1:44 pm

16. Mark says:

Remember, the MIL that randomly places pictures in April is the same one that will cook the turkey for one of your holidays this year.

Remember that when you have the turkey trots ;-)

April 8th, 2008 at 4:13 pm

17. Lisa says:

Too funny…yes, Abe is creepy. Especially with those eyes that follow you wherever you are.

April 9th, 2008 at 8:43 am

I feel like I should stand with my hand over my heart. Presidents? Are we in elementary school?

April 9th, 2008 at 6:16 pm

19. autumn dahlia says:

That’s ….um…. very….er….patriotic of you!

April 10th, 2008 at 6:58 am

20. Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah says:

I have never been so confused in my life. Seriously? She leaves you art?

April 11th, 2008 at 12:28 pm

21. Kristi Ottmar says:

OMG My MIL hangs things too, usually of herself, in fact instead of a wedding picture of my hubby and moi, she replaced it one time with one of her. She hasn’t been allowed back since.

April 13th, 2008 at 12:32 pm

22. ellen says:

this was very funny – holy mother in law

January 20th, 2009 at 7:08 pm