Craft shows: It’s kinda like the travelling circus, but without all the glamour

April 8, 2008

Dude.  The Bizarre Bazaar this past weekend.  What can I say?  Not even one remotely bizarre thing in the whole place.  270 booths of sweetness and goodness.  Make that 269 booths of sweetness and goodness.

There was a little feistiness.  Besides the fact that 75% of my sales were maternity shirts.  No, I did not drink the water when I was in Richmond.  You southern girls are fun.  You girls, you know who you are….  Nothing like bonding over a little half-assed parenting and a small dose of inappropriate conversation.  And Beergirl?  Came on Friday and wore the brand new MNAC robe for a large portion of the afternoon.  Once she got it on, she didn’t want to take it off.  You wanna see it?  Here it is.  Martini Robe

It is by far the most comfortable robe you have ever, ever put on your body.  Not available on the website yet. And I only made 14 of them, so they may never make it to the website.   A bargain at $50.  And did you notice?  No MNAC.  It’s officially a robe for EVERYONE.  WooHOO!!   You’ll have to email me to find out how to get one.  From size small to women’s size XL.  I KNOW.  QUE LINDA!

The fair thing?  It’s a little odd.  I mean, some guy making soap will clear 5 figures in a weekend.  Don’t get that excited for me.  That didn’t even remotely happen over here.  But it’s cool.  But this is what people do for a living.  As I was packing up, I realized that I reeked of “rookie.”  There I was in the rain, piling up my crates in the back of the truck, cursing my father-in-law under my breath as I watched my fellow exhibitors load up their crap in retro-fitted vans and trailers and trucks.  Cursing my FIL because, when I had the money to buy an SUV, he gave me a come-to-Jesus speech about the greatness of my Volvo.

Yeah, you get more than 4 crates into a Volvo.  Thus, The Husband’s truck.  No, I really like to climb up into the back of the truck to push the crates all the way to the back.  And then move everything around 500 times until I figure out how exactly to fit everything in.  That mechanical gene?  That one that, when you see all those different shaped blocks, you fit them together to make a 6 bedroom house with a sauna, spa and indoor pool?  Not so much.  Meanwhile, at 11 minutes after the close of the show, the ladies with the 900 million hair bows on 37 display pieces have done inventory, shrink-wrapped everything, loaded their van and are now smoking a Marlboro before heading out to do a show in West Virginia.  Me?  It took me 1 hour and 47 minutes to decide whether to put the 22 size large shirts into a crate with a blue top or a crate with a black top.  I had 12 crates, people.  This is not rocket science.  I went to law school.  Seriously?

1. Nikki says:

LOVE IT! IS IT CORAL?!?!?!

April 8th, 2008 at 7:08 pm

2. wendy says:

You rocked out, and hey, everyone is a rookie once, and now you’ve been christened. Just know, the soccer mom van seems very cool at load up time! I hope you’re feeling better! Wish there was touchable photos so people could actually feel those softer than anything robes… I guess touchable photos on the web would be used for evil instead of this goodness though, huh? I wouldn’t know, I don’t watch P*RN…hehehe

Love,
      “your sister”

April 8th, 2008 at 7:36 pm

No one cares how you load your truck. Tell me how to get the damn robe.

(You know I’m kidding. I love you and would and have helped you load your truck…so of course I care. One day we’ll know each other long enough that I won’t need to add these explanations to my cute comments because you will just giggle and say, “Oh that bitch. I just love her.”)

So you’re saying you’re not pregnant?

April 8th, 2008 at 7:57 pm

4. Bellamomma says:

Hey ~ I saw a bumpersticker today & thought of you: “Sorry I’m Late”

A shirt for either the Mommy-to-be or the kiddo! LOL

Well, the baby would probably need “Sorry I was late”

Mom probably wouldn’t want “Sorry” on hers.

Who knows. It would be funny as crap for a Mom though … one with a really good sense of humor.

I saw it, thought of you & laughed.
      B

April 8th, 2008 at 9:01 pm

5. Mark says:

Dude,
      Seriously you need an early 1960′s VW Microbus, dual side opening doors, decked out in flower applique’s. Yeah you know the kind with those batik curtains, the kind you used to follow from one Grateful Dead concert to another by following the smoke coming out of the tailpipe and the windows. Tres chic to load that mother up in less than 2 minutes.

Or there is always the enticement route. Stand there at closing time in just your robe with a ” Help me load for FREE BEER” sign and I bet some of those other Pro’s loaders & helpers will be there to help you load.

April 9th, 2008 at 7:33 am

6. Tara says:

Kristen-
      You make me laugh.

I want you to know I wear my MNAC tanks Underneath things when my uber fake holy roller religious icky boss is at the mission — it is my dirty little secret.

I am a true Rebel, I know. Iknow.

Barbancourt Rum is the greatest product of Haiti … as soon as it is noon, I’ll be having a little Rum and Coke in your honor.

The Boss left yesterday. If he is gone maybe I won’t actually go to hell for enjoying a cocktail.

April 9th, 2008 at 8:23 am

7. RaeAnn Collins says:

Luuuuvvv it! And I am sitting here daydreaming of all the places I could make my kids wear the “my mom doesn’t want your advice” tees. fab-u-lous! I have 3 boys… one with special needs in a wheelchair, an 7 month old and a kindergardener with ants in his pants… I must be sending out a silent distress alarm. But really people… I work hard to make chaos look this good!…LOL.

April 9th, 2008 at 8:34 am

8. Izzy says:

There was nothing bizarre?! That’s bizarre. Ever since we moved down here, I’ve been wondering about that.

Well then, maybe next year I can gather up the troops and head on over there and see you and the other non-bizarre things. :-)

April 9th, 2008 at 12:14 pm

9. Kristi says:

I REALLY REALLY want that robe!!! Mommy almost got her cocktail tonight. Girl’s night out had been scheduled for over a month and then my husband got called into work at the last minute and the good babysitters already had plans. :(

I REALLY REALLY NEED that robe.

April 12th, 2008 at 3:55 pm

10. Rebecca from MadieDeluxe Handbags says:

hi there – after discovering your most fabulous and HYSTERICAL merch – bought some cocktail napkins, coffee travelers, and magnets for a baby shower I was hosting (reason for the late post to this – it was the 19th) Anyhoo – -BIG HIT! The moms-to-be and guests LOVED LOVED LOVED everything! All took the website info and want to “stock up” (as we all have cocktail napkin fetishes or issues as we call them :) ). Glad you were there and hope to see you at the holiday show!
      thanks for having the most festive items out there! Rebecca
      BTW – big time recommend the Toyota Sequoia – just had to trade in the Acura for one – - perfect size for packing stuff in for these events! and the seats are kid car seat ready!

April 21st, 2008 at 7:18 am

11. Trade shows: What happens in Vegas better not stay in Vegas - Mommy Needs a Business - Work It, Mom! says:

[...] shows are kinda like craft shows, only you don’t go home with any money. Unless your trade show is in Vegas and you think you [...]

July 1st, 2008 at 7:30 pm