Why’s the bathroom have to smell like a men’s room at the end of a rock concert?

August 1, 2007

This is one of the many posts where I complain about the men in my house.  I complain because I grew up with 3 sisters and a father who knew better than to get in our way.  He had his space, we had our space and frankly, I think we are all the better for it.  I am going to gloss over the fact that I know how a men’s room smells at the end of a concert.

That being said, I now realize that my father was either a relatively clean person in his bathroom or my mother was cleaning the bathroom every day.  I just don’t remember the nastiness that is my world today.

K:  Did you let The Boy stand up to pee when I was gone?
    D:  We didn’t do so great in the “peeing” department while you were gone.

Not to be confused with not doing so great in the “getting to sleep before 10″ department, “doing the dishes from last Wednesday still in the sink” department or “keeping track of The Boy’s only pair of sandals” department.  I know exactly how things go around here when I am gone.  Last night at 9 I heard hysterical laughter from The Boy’s room.  I had to go upstairs to tell the two of them to “cut it out now and go to sleep.”  The Boy AND my husband.

But back to the urine.  Cause that’s really why we are all here, isn’t it?  Just last year I used to enter my sister’s bathroom every single time with paper towels in one hand and 409 in the other.  This being an hour after she cleaned it.  She explained that this was just the world of boys.

So I thought I would combat this by making my son sit when he goes to the bathroom.  It’s not the aiming problem.  It’s that he is just too little to pee standing up.  He is a bit of a diminutive child to be honest.  His solution is to stand on the toilet seat.  And then it becomes an aiming problem.  I have listened to the arguments from the defendant’s counsel and I have found no merit in them.

But when Mama’s away, her boys will play.  I came home to a bathroom that took my breath away when I entered it.  The two of them didn’t seem to notice.

Thank you, God, for Clorox wipes.  If only I could use them on the boys.

1. krystyn says:

I giggle so hard when I read this that I snorted. Twice.

Honestly? I think my six year old misses the potty on purpose. Really, I think that he thinks it’s funny. For one, he thinks his weiner is funny and will run around the house screaming “weenie!” or “nekked!” with no clothes on. I think the peeing on the floor is just his way of letting me know he had no pants on, and since I missed out, he left a little souvenir for me to giggle at.

August 1st, 2007 at 12:21 pm

2. babybrewing says:

oh, so there is an option that they are doing it on purpose? Greaaaaat!

August 1st, 2007 at 2:13 pm

3. Trena says:

All I can say is Amen, sister, amen.

My grandmother was one lucky woman (or had trained my grandfather awfully well) because I never remember there being an issue with the bathroom while growing up.

Since being married…well, I give thanks daily for latex-free gloves and bleach wipes.

Oh, what I have to look forward too in about another year.

August 1st, 2007 at 2:33 pm

4. Occidental Girl says:

Oh, man! I grew up with mostly all girls, too. This is so foreign. Who stands up to pee, except in an icky bathroom? This is the level of inexperience (in me) you’re dealing with.

August 1st, 2007 at 7:50 pm

5. Kyran says:

welcome to my world. i feel your pain, believe me. however, I do have to tell you me and my girlfriends have been known to have a snigger at a friend’s huz who was reportedly “trained” to pee sitting down by his many sisters!

xo

August 1st, 2007 at 8:08 pm

6. Dawn - Coming to a Nursery Near You says:

I’m so there. My 10 yr old STILL misses. His father STILL misses. I just had another boy. Dare I say he WILL MISS.

But here’s a little something for you.

MY DAUGHTER MISSES TOO!

I swear, I’m the only one who can actually leave the bathroom as I’ve found it.

August 2nd, 2007 at 1:28 am

7. nyjlm says:

I swear, one of the most shocking things about having a son after growing up with a sister was the fact that there really is a boy smell. And they acquire it at such a young age!
      I’m, umm, not such a regular cleaner, so I don’t really know if my son misses a lot. However, the bathroom he shares with his sister doesn’t smell, so perhaps he has good aim.

August 2nd, 2007 at 4:46 pm

8. Daisy says:

When I walk into the upstairs bathroom, primarily used by Da Boys, the teen has a different excuse. He’s blind, and claims that aim is purely visual. I shouldn’t mind if there are “a few drops” on the floor. Aargh!

August 2nd, 2007 at 6:16 pm

9. MommyWithAnAttitude says:

I have three boys — two little and one big. The big one wasn’t so bad before the other two arrived, but now — well, if it wasn’t my house I would NEVER actually use the bathrooms here!

August 3rd, 2007 at 9:48 pm

10. ktjrdn says:

yes, I can attest to the fact that girls sometimes miss too. My daughter is fascinated with the act of peeing and will lean back a little to watch. It’s not too bad at home, but with those public toliet seats with the front cut out (what is up with those anyway?) she sometimes pees out of the toliet. I can’t even imagine the mess of a little boy (or 2)

August 6th, 2007 at 5:38 am