Blogher recap

July 31, 2007

We arrived at the hotel. The hotel that Paul and his fabulous artist better half Rachelle had booked for us because they knew we would wait until the last minute and then be sleeping in the hostel accomodations. Thank you Paul and Rachelle. Rachelle was handing out the really cool tattoes (or tattoos, if we are going to be all hung up on spelling) that we put on The Baby. And ourselves. But mostly The Baby.

My sister sent me a text.

“Come crash the party. No one will ever know.”

And that’s how I started at Blogher on Thursday night. I could regale with stories about delays and sitting on the tarmac for hours with Jen Lemen and having my husband telling me on the phone to “STOP EATING YOUR FOOD IN CASE YOU ARE THERE FOR 6 MORE HOURS,” but really, who needs to be bored with all that?

I walked into the party and directly into the arms of Heather of Oh My Stinkin’ Heck and Jessica of Kerflop. Ne’er were two nicer girls in the world. If you have ever been hugged by Heather, you know the peace of which I speak. And then I had a Little-House-on-the-Prairie-running-through-the-wheat-fields-towards-each-other reunion with Emily. Emily and her best friend Cooper are spearheading the Bloggers Act Global Health initiative. They were also giving out the best shwag. A handmade coin purse from Sewnsational. Emily and Cooper are two of the most amazing women you will ever meet. Head on over to The Motherhood to see how you can be involved.

I was only there a few seconds more before Chris saw me and came running over to see how much The Baby has grown since Blogher Business. She approved of my care of The Baby and declared him fit and beautiful. She is so kind. And then I went across the room to sit with Rachelle and a group of women I hadn’t met. I found out that these great women were representing (oops) wine. If you think this is going to sound like a commercial for (oops) wine, it is. Had YOU talked to Sheila, you too would be saying how great (oops) wine is. She was so convincing and I hadn’t even tried the wine yet. And then I did. Who can argue with affordable wine that tastes great? And I’m not just saying that because I am a wino.

Someone at the conference taught The Baby how to crawl. Whoever you are, thank you. Just some added notes. Tracey can party in 7 Eleven like nothing else, Beth is always going to make me laugh, Stephanie is ageless and Laurie is determined. I will love Lindsay forever for saying nice things about my sister. Jeannine is as much fun as Jean. Sage is beautiful, as is her mother and grandmother. The women at Five Moms are spreading the word. Not only is Kyran from Notes to Self an amazing writer, she also wears beautiful pj’s. Probably information a roommate isn’t supposed to tell, huh? Because I gave out shot glasses, I got to talk to lots of people and got tons of business cards. I intend to visit every blog. If you didn’t give me a card but met me, drop me an email with your blog address. If I talked to you and forgot you here, please forgive me.

When I got home, I sorted through the pile and saw that I had business cards from rockstars Kris and Stacy. Before I left, I had fantasies of meeting Kris, as reading her blog for the past few years makes me think that perhaps we dated the same men? Really? I went to her panel to hear her speak, apparently got her business card at some point, and didn’t ACTUALLY meet her. So Kris, if you are out there somewhere, I would really like to meet you sometime. Really. You are hysterical.

Here it comes. My most favorite-est person I met at Blogher. Krystyn Heide. You heard it right. And I’m not just saying that because of the pose she made in the limo. I’m saying that because she is an amazing, amazing person. And her name is spelled with two “y’s.” That is so cool.

To the girls who graciously accepted my shot glasses without ever intending to use them, you were too kind. And hilarious. Thanks for making me laugh.

To my mother, who came to watch The Baby, you are the best. I had to laugh because I kept meeting people who, when I offered them a Minti coaster, said, “Your mom gave me one.” She is just that good.

I had conversations about friendships, family, faith and life. It was amazing. ‘nough said.

15 Comments

1. Kyran says:

lol. well, I wonder what my roommate on Friday night thought of my “pyjamas” after I left my nightie in y’alls room. Thank god for the oversize blogger t’s they were passing out the next day.

it was so great to spend time with you. I can’t believe I didn’t get a shot glass.

xoxo

July 31st, 2007 at 6:32 am

2. kris says:

We did meet! I swear to it! I commented that we had the same name — at a cocktail table in the children’s museum . . . our eyes met . . .

July 31st, 2007 at 7:47 am

3. Laurie says:

You nailed it, this is one of the best recaps I’ve seen yet. Thank you, you are just beautiful – and so is your baby, and your Mom, and your sister. I somehow find it comforting that you’re within easy driving distance if I ever freak out and need someone to look me in the eye and give it to me straight in the kindest and most helpful way. It was so good to see you again.

Pics of you (and the baby and grandma being VLOGGED, at that) on my Flickr. I’m rubyshoes over there.

And I didn’t get a shot glass either! And I totally use them! ; )

July 31st, 2007 at 9:14 am

4. Marelle says:

Hey, I just came back from the Sears Optical–I told the doctor that I thought that I was going blind. And, about how I could not read my best friend’s website because the font was so damn small.

You know what he said?

He said to just change the font size to the largest font available.

Damn! You know what?

The doctor was right.

Expect the doctor’s bill in the mail any minute now.

heehee :)

Glad that you are back in town. I almost called about coming down but then I remembered Chicago . . . you lucked out! :)

July 31st, 2007 at 1:52 pm

5. blackbird says:

Hey!
      Thanks for stopping by…we needed more time with lots of great women!

July 31st, 2007 at 6:40 pm

6. Liz says:

I’m not taking responsibility in the baby crawling incident, but I’ll be your witness! While we were chatting with you, your boy took off.
      So great to meet you–and so happy to have a new blog to stalk!

July 31st, 2007 at 7:20 pm

7. Y says:

Did you ever wear the sleeveless shirt? I don’t think I saw you after the first cocktail party.

I LOVES ma’shot glass. THANK YOU for that.

August 1st, 2007 at 5:04 am

8. OMSH says:

It is because I’m squishy. Squishy makes for good hugs. I think that is why I refuse to go on a diet. It has nothing to do with food addiction – and everything to do with being able to embrace people I adore in all my squishyness.

August 2nd, 2007 at 8:31 am

9. tiffany says:

you were one of the first people i met at blogher: in the speed-dating circle of doom. you are more than forgiven or not remembering me because 1) i didn’t have a business card and 2) i was still in oh-my-hell-i’m-really-here-and-look-at-all-these-people! mode. as such, i’m sure i said nothing interesting.

i did, however, try the key lime martini recipe from the magnet you gave me, and it was delicious.

August 2nd, 2007 at 9:48 am

10. Jean says:

Great re-cap of Blogher, Kris (the networking side, that is!). I know you didn’t party the whole time ’cause I saw you in at least two sessions — Jen’s and Emily’s very inspirational session. Actually, they were both inspirational sessions. Hey I love your new site design! Very clean and usable with great retro colors that go so well with the retro art. Glad you finally got permission to use it!

August 2nd, 2007 at 10:58 am

11. Jennifer/The Word Cellar says:

I’m still catching up on the BlogHer aftermath — visiting blogs, touching base with so many cool women, and sifting through great ideas from the weekend. It was a pleasure to meet you (and your Mom and The Baby). And thanks for the link to my website! Now where did I put that shot glass?…

August 2nd, 2007 at 9:42 pm

12. tracey says:

Good times.

I adored spending time together!

August 5th, 2007 at 7:57 pm

13. Five Moms : Stopping Teen Cough Medicine Abuse » Blog Archive » A Special Thanks to Some Special Bloggers says:

[...] Darguzas at Parent Dish Mama Speaks Kirsten at Mommy Needs a Cocktail Being Mom2Amara Elizabeth at Career and Kids Beauty and Fashion Tech Angie Felton [...]

August 6th, 2007 at 1:43 pm

14. krystyn says:

Laughing. You were my favorite person too! And you didn’t even have to flash me to win me over. I’ll admit, I resort to cheap tactics when I’m in a limo.

Seriously? I want to have a big girlie sleepover with you, Jen, Rachelle, Tracey and Myriam. Like with pin curls and late night television and pints of mint chocolate chip ice cream.

Start driving.

August 7th, 2007 at 8:51 am

15. littlepurplecow says:

Loved spending time with you at BlogHer, seeing your beautiful, happy babe AND meeting your sweet, sweet mother. We need to keep doing this.

August 8th, 2007 at 10:22 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.